[Nfbmo] FW: Associated Press: Legally blind Vt. law student wins 1st big case

Gary Wunder GWunder at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 8 17:57:34 UTC 2011

  _____

From: Freeh, Jessica [mailto:JFreeh at nfb.org]
Sent: Monday, August 08, 2011 7:32 AM
To: Alpidio Rolon; Amy Buresh; Art Schreiber; Beth Rival; Bill Packee; Bob
Kresmer; Carl Jacobsen; Cassandra McNabb; Cathy Jackson; Charlene Smyth;
Christine G. Hall; Dan Hicks; Daniel Burke; Don Galloway; Donna Wood; Elsie
Dickerson; Frank Lee; Franklin Shiner; Fred Schroeder; Garrick Scott; Gary
Ray; Gary Wunder; Grace Pires; J.W. Smith; James Antonacci; Jeannie Massay;
Jennelle Bichler; Jennifer Dunnam; Joe Ruffalo; John Batron; John Fritz; Joy
Harris; Joyce Scanlan; Ken Rollman; Kim Williams; Kimberly Flores; Larry
Posont; Lynn Majewski; Mary Willows; Max Aguilar; Melissa Riccobono; Michael
Barber; Michael Freeman; Mika Pyyhkala; Nani Fife; Pam Allen; Parnell Diggs;
Patti Chang; Rena Smith; Ron Brown; Gardner, Ron; Sam Gleese; Scott LaBarre;
Terry Sheeler
Subject: Associated Press: Legally blind Vt. law student wins 1st big case

Legally blind Vt. law student wins 1st big case
Published August 07, 2011
| Associated Press

MIDDLESEX, Vt. -  Deanna Jones, a third-year law student who's legally blind
and learning disabled, has won her first big court case: her own.

Jones sued the National Conference of Bar Examiners in July, accusing it of
violating the Americans With Disabilities Act by refusing to let her take a
key legal ethics exam using a computer with screen access software that she
has used to read in college and in law school.

Armed with a federal judge's order, she was able to take the test Friday,
closely watched by a proctor, test supervisor and someone from the ACT, Inc.
testing company, she said.

"I think I did OK," she said. "I left feeling like I probably passed it."

Jones, who attends Vermont Law School with hopes of practicing disability
law, needs the Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam to practice in
Vermont. The NCBE fought her request and plans to appeal, saying the
security of its pencil-and-paper test could be jeopardized if taken
electronically. The organization had offered instead to have someone read
the test to Jones, to let her take the test in Braille, in enlarged print,
and use an audio CD.

But a judge ruled Tuesday that the examiners had to provide her a laptop
equipped with the special software. Jones said she was "just emotionally
overcome" when she finally sat down for the exam.

"I just sort of broke into a fit of bawling for a moment," she said Friday
afternoon, after nearly six hours of testing. "It was unbelievable to me
what it had taken just to be able to sit in that chair," she said.

Dan Goldstein, a Baltimore-based lawyer for Jones and the National
Federation of the Blind, said he's been involved with four other similar
cases, three of which have been successful, resulting in preliminary
injunctive relief. The federation paid Jones' legal bills.

Her lawyer, Emily Joselson of Middlebury, said federal disability rules and
laws require that examiners "provide the accommodations that best ensure
that the test taker's results on the exam will reflect the substantive
knowledge that's being tested and not their disabilities."

U.S. District Court Judge Christina Reiss said in a 26-page decision that
"reasonable accommodations" for Jones were not enough and without the laptop
and software Jones had requested "the MPRE will primarily test her ability
to work through her disabilities and that she will not be able to compete on
an equal basis with non-disabled test takers."

NCBE, based in Madison, Wis., did not return a phone call seeking comment.
Court papers show the nonprofit corporation is seeking to withhold Jones'
score.

Reiss questioned NCBE's priorities.

"The public interest compels the court to order accommodations that will
best ensure a disabled person's access to a professional exam that will, in
part, determine whether he or she may practice a chosen profession," she
wrote.

"The public's interest in the integrity of secure, professional licensing
exams while important and legitimate does not trump the ADA," Reiss wrote.

Jones' disabilities have long been tested. Legally blind since she was 5 and
not diagnosed with a learning disability until she was in her 30s, Jones
described her public school years in Hightstown, N.J., as a "rough ride."

What got her through? "My mom," she said.

I'd come home from a school a mess, you know, just crying at the table," she
said.

Her mother, Elaine Jones, would get her organized and help her through the
work.

But Jones dropped out of college after high school with a GPA of .92 after
one year.

She went on to start a record store and later to run the food service at the
Statehouse in Montpelier.

In her 30s, everything changed. She learned that in addition to macular
degeneration in each eye - depriving her of centralized vision and
preventing her from seeing anything other than peripheral objects - she also
had atypical retinitis pigmentosa, eyesight-threatening damage to her retina
that causes loss of peripheral vision.

"What's important about that is that meant I wasn't just going to lose my
central vision, I was going to lose all of my vision," she said at her
Middlesex home.

She also discovered that she had a learning disability.

In early 2000, Jones learned about the computer software programs that
allowed her to read and return to college: The ZoomText Magnifier/Reader,
which magnifies text, and Kurzweil 3000 screen reader, which reads the text
aloud and highlights sentences and words that she can follow with a cursor.

Until then the only book she'd gotten through was a large-print edition of
"The Diary of Anne Frank," which she used for every book report she wrote.

"So when I got to Vermont College with this particular software and I could
scan any book in the world and read it. It was just unbelievable.

"It was the first time in my life I was able to read books and it just
opened up the whole world," she said, with tears welling in her eyes. "It
was so amazing."

She read literature classics - "Moby Dick," ''The Great Gatsby," and "Anna
Karenina" as well as psychology and books in myriad subjects, enough for her
to get a liberal arts degree.

"I couldn't read until I was in my 30s. It's a big deal," she said.

While she was an undergraduate, she studied the Americans with Disabilities
Act, rekindling her childhood dream of going to law school, she said.

She's not sure exactly what she'll do as a lawyer. She thinks about working
with colleges and professional schools, giving sensitivity training about
people with disabilities and how to accommodate them.

For now, she expects another fight next year when she takes the Vermont bar
exam - which also comes without technology. She hasn't yet inquired about
special accommodations to take that test.

So far, she's got the grades to prove her success.

"I have a 3.28 GPA. And if I get a 3.5 by next semester or even in the
following semester, I can graduate cum laude. And I am dying to graduate cum
laude," she said.

Read more:
<http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/08/07/legally-blind-vt-law-student-wins-1st-
big-case/#ixzz1URD5pUrN>