[Nfbmo] Blind Driver Challenge

Brent Ford buzzaldron at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 21:01:18 UTC 2011

Hello:
I am Brent, Cari's fiancee, and I understand why
she has the concerns she does. I totally agree.
She was not trying in _any way_ to put down Mark.
The reason her question is valid is because
sometimes when something is so ingrained in us,
such as using sight, or even verbal directions,
when we try to adapt for others, it can be a
struggle. For example, Cari wears hearing aids.
She hears, but has no directional hearing. I got
it right away about the hearing aids, but I still
struggle with things such as "Over here, Cari"
and she responds "I don't know where here is, or
this way doesn't mean anything to me." I then
have to remember to tell her left or right.
The reason this ties into the blind driver
challenge is this. If an individual was partial,
and used some alternative techniques of blindness
at the same time, they may think they were
relying on the alternative techniques to drive,
but uncontiously using both sight and techniques.
I had a couple of questions myself. I am
wondering if the car will be at the convention in
Orlando and if so, Will it be possible to sit in
it? I don't expect to drive it, as many will wish
to, and that may not be possible. I would like to
see the technology though. Maybe we could drive
the nonmoving virtual road that Gary Wunder
drove. Also, will DVDs or audio CDS of the event be made available for sail?
Thanks and Glory Glory Federation!!