[Nfbmo] Our seminar on dealing with grief

Gary Wunder GWunder at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 14 20:13:30 UTC 2011

I have had very little response to my inquiry about our seminar on grief
which was originally scheduled for Friday afternoon. Two of the people who
would have been presenters and who would have also benefited from the
interaction cannot attend if we do this on Saturday morning because they
have obligations to the Scholarship Committee. People who want it in the
afternoon are not sure that they can be there by four o'clock. I'm all for
doing this, but if we're going to set up the room, I'd like some clear
indication of who is going to come and participate.

Shelia Wright offers an observation that might be helpful as we think about
how to deal with the grief which springs from our recent and numerous
losses. Here's what she says:

Just some  thoughts about the loss so many have had this year.

I very much remember the first four conventions, after Harvey's death. I
didn't really fit anywhere. The more difficult times were the banquet, the
after banquet festivities,and other events where we would have normally
socialized as a couple. Times where you can back away without others
noticing and when even the couples you knew seem to back away. I know Susie
went and still goes through some of these times.

I remember feeling how convention (especially national) seemed like a snow
globe with all the people inside. As I circled around there was a glass
barrier that kept me from being a part of the happenings.

I think somehow making an opportunity to be sure we don't leave our friends
floundering during these difficult times during the convention would be much
more powerful than a meeting, particularly if we are going to include a
panel or agenda item on why and how cross-training in terms of home and
family management is so essential in our lives.

Shelia