[Nfbmo] Fw: [Electronics-talk] Oregon uses iPads to help disabled vote

fred olver goodfolks at charter.net
Tue Nov 8 14:56:07 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hai Nguyen Ly" <gymnastdave at sbcglobal.net>
To: "Discussion of accessible electronics and appliances"
<electronics-talk at nfbnet.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 8:44 AM
Subject: [Electronics-talk] Oregon uses iPads to help disabled vote

http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/11/08/oregon.offers.accessible.voting.through.ipad/

Oregon uses iPads to help disabled vote

updated 04:50 am EST, Tue November 8, 2011

Oregon offers accessible voting through iPad

Oregon has become the first state to use iPads to help disable voters cast
their vote. According to Associated Press, election officials are pioneering
the use of the iPad for voting where people who would normally find it
difficult to cast their vote using paper. The officials have been piloting
the use of the iPads in a primary election to replace former U.S. Rep. David
Wu, who recently resigned following a sex scandal.

The county election officials have been taking iPads and printers to parks,
nursing homes, community centers and wherever teams can find voters who
could use the extra help to cast their vote.

Voters who are vision impaired can adjust the font size, contrast and screen
colors to suit their individual needs. The iPad can also be used to read
back the names of candidates if necessary, all with or without the help of
officials. Once completed, they simply hit print, pop their ballot in an
envelope and hand it in.

The system has got the vote of one local resident, Lewis Crews, 75, who
suffers from severe arthritis.

"It's a lot simpler for me. I think it's a great setup they got," said
Crews. He added, “…now that I’ve seen how it works I’m confident I can do it
on my own.”

If the pilot proves successful, the program could be rolled out across
Oregon for future general elections. Apple donated five devices for the
initial pilot, while the state developed the software for around $75,000. To
complete the rollout, the state would need 72 iPads at a total cost of
$36,000 plus $50 for each printer, where needed. This compares favorably
with the $325,000 the state expended over the past two-year budget cycle on
accessibility programs for voting.

Under Federal law, states must provide facilities in order to offer the same
access to voting, as well as privacy and independence. The iPad has the
potential for states to cost-effectively meet their obligations.

By Electronista Staff

updated 05:20 am EST, Tue November 8, 2011

Mozilla well into development of Boot 2 Gecko

More details have emerged about Mozilla’s mobile OS. The Boot 2 Gecko, or
B2G, project is now undergoing testing by Mozilla developers. The OS has
been compared to Google’s Chrome OS, as it has a web emphasis and relies on
HTML5-based applications. Although Android is at its core the aim is to use
“as little Android as possible,” but take the Chrome OS-like experience to
mobile phones. Some screen mock-ups are embedded below, as a guide as to how
the OS may look and function.

Currently, the developers are working on a range of areas including new web
APIs and porting, or building, apps that will work with the platform. The OS
is built on open web standards and will run HTML5 web apps that are designed
to work on iOS and Android alike.

Testing has been underway for several months now, with trials also being
conducted on messaging, telephony and battery life. A product demo is
expected in the first quarter of 2012, with a shipping product possible by
the second quarter of 2012. [via Hot Hardware]

By Electronista Staff