[Nfbmo] RSB survey request

James Moynihan jamesmmoynihan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 21:01:24 UTC 2011

Dear Mark Laird:

This is a brief reply to the questions posed in your email.

1. I value learning cane travel the most.  Unfortunately, I did not receive
cane travel instruction from RSB until the age of 14.  This is much too late
to be effective.

Today blind children are starting to learn orientation and mobility at the
age of four or five.  Blind children should learn routes in their
neighborhood and in their schools.

Blind children should be taught the skills of daily living at an early age.
They should learn the household chores expected of their sighted peers.
They should learn to cook, clean, make beds etc.

2. Barriers include instructing the parents and teachers of blind children
about the skills of daily living.

3. In the future RSB should require that blind children learn braille,
orientation and mobility and to be totally conversant in computer
technology.

Your attention to this email is greatly appreciated.

If you have questions please call at (314) 416-1969

Cordially,

James Moynihan