[Nfbmo] What would you do?

Melissa Smith mdsmith25 at ktis.net
Wed Oct 26 22:23:34 UTC 2011

I've run across a few people who believe that if I just pray enough my
blindness will be cured, but none that thought my blindness was caused
because I was evil.

Melissa Smith

On 10/26/2011 5:02 PM, Gail Bryant wrote:
> Personally, I go to a wonderful church which has supported me in every way
> possible. When I've had surgery, the helped me with meals and whatever I
> needed.  When Ed died, they prayed with me, cried with me, laughed with me
> and more.   Never have they called me evil. I don't know where Mr. Bradley
> gets his figures, but perhaps the reason he chooses not to go to church is
> out of anger and bitterness
>
> Gail Bryant
> Columbia Braille Teaching Services L.L.C.
> 1212 London Drive
> Columbia, MO 65203-2012
> Phone: (573)817-5993
> Cell: (573)268-4962
> gbryant at socket.net

>>> activity. It hurts and seems unfair, but to me it doesn't rise to the
>>> level
>>> of discrimination which, if I understand it, means something which is
>>> both
>>> unreasonable and detrimental. I don't think we can be critical of people
>>> using sight and acknowledging that it plays a major role in the way they
>>> find and even remember things. What we can and should make an unequivocal
>>> stand for are things which have nonvisual alternatives but which are
>>> ignored
>>> to the detriment of our education and employment.
>>>
>>> I do not mean this as a real answer to the question of what should I do,
>>> but
>>> as a thought process we go through when trying to decide when to fight
>>> and
>>> what we can reasonably fight for as blind people. I am not targeting Fred
>>> here but trying to engage in some discussion of a philosophical principle
>>> that I wrestle with at least two or three times per month. I appreciate
>>> the
>>> question, even if I don't have anything like a good answer.

>>> and
>>> for some of us it just makes life easier. Fred Olver