[Nfbmo] employment question

Susan Ford johnsusanford at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 25 14:47:25 UTC 2011

Jenny:

Hello.  It's been a long time, seems like.  Debbie and Dan have started you
on the right track.  I think it is important for you to know exactly what
programs you are required to use on the computer at work.  Some programs may
work better with certain speech programs.  I know that you use Jaws, but
what word processor does your work use?  What email do they use?  Do you
fill out forms and if so, do you access them through a special program?  You
may want RSB to ask for a rehab engineering eval to make sure that
everything is compatible.  Your vision may be stable right now, but since
with glaucoma your chance of losing vision may be higher, I would make sure
everything is in place; the sooner the better.  That may mean those Braille
skills too.  I think you know that large print is usable too, so perhaps
Zoomtext plus or something that can be used with large print and speech is
what you need.  You need to talk to someone like Gary, Denny Huff or Greg
Mark to make sure everything is in order for you.  Your rehab counselor
might help with discussing the situation with your supervisor, but you might
choose to talk to someone like Dan, who has some of the same experiences
with vision loss that you do.  Cari and Chris are both pretty knowledgable
about computers too, and Bryan Schulz--all of whom live in St. Louis.  Oh,
and Diana, Nancy Lynn and Fred.  And you know what Randy knows, but I think
it would be better to keep him out of the situation, other than as your
sounding board.  And probably a letter in your file from your rehab
counselor would be good.  Don't turn in anything like that till you have
read it.  If you have any questions about such a letter (how things are
phrased) talk to Gary before you give it to your supervisor.  Sometimes
doctors and counselors try to help and their comments are more damaging that
it would have been if they said nothing.

Sorry to go on, but your question stimulates lots of others questions.

Susan Ford