[Nfbmo] Regarding A Blind Person within Our Community

Sagi McCleary sagi.mccleary at att.net
Fri Apr 20 01:52:17 UTC 2012

Hello.

With the understanding that I have not become a "paying" member, I do still
send this message with hopes of obtaining some concerns and possible
assistance towards another individual within the KC area.

Admittedly, and it doesn't mean always financial. However, we, or most of
us, I should say, are aware of Hazelene Clay and James Herndon's situation.

I got a call from her yesterday afternoon of which I'm grateful, because
this situation has tugged at me for a long time.

She is wanting/needing/encouraging we blind people to visit him. Granted, it
isn't going to be a pretty visit, because James was seriously affected with
this stroke, and he isn't the same person y'all knew.

It might appear that he cannot hear you, but she says he does. We don't have
to yell to talk to him. Just being there trying to make a connection is
important and supportive to her as well as to him.

He's at 10425 Chestnut at the Blue River Nursing Home.

I take my hat off to her because she has hung in there. She needs our
support. Her concern is that the staff doesn't believe or know how to be
with blind people. This is a great way for we blind people to let them know
that we know how to be with him even if it is a very challenging adventure,
and it will be.

The truth here is, though, that not all of us will have caring family or
friends to advocate on our behalf if this happens to some of us, but those
of us who can do something need to do something.it is like walking in
another's moccasins.

Take care, and if I can be of any further encouragement, please just ask.
Y'all have my number and e-mail. If you can encourage other blind members
that I don't know, please do it.

Thanks and have a good day the remainder of this day.

Sagi