[Nfbmo] FW: An artificial retina with the capacity to restore normal vision

DanFlasar at aol.com DanFlasar at aol.com
Mon Aug 20 23:55:22 UTC 2012

I did a little more research on Dr. Nirenberg and her work in the
artificial retina field.   It seems to be legitimate but don't hold  your breath.
The most important phrase in the article is "Dr. Nirenberg  and her partner
have applied for a patent through Cornell University.
    Despite what they say in the article - human trials are  many years
away.   This is a prime example of the use of science  reporting as a way of
pressuring the NIH and the patent office to speed up both  funding and patent.
  This kind of showboating used to be considered  unethical but it's gotten
pretty common now.
    I hope this research fulfills it's promise and people  who are in
danger of losing their vision - or who have a chance to regain it -  will have a
new, safe and effective option.
   Thanks for posting this Gail, I hadn't heard of it  before.
Dan

In a message dated 8/20/2012 6:21:00 P.M. Central Daylight Time,