[Nfbmo] Fw: Urgent Need for Action! It's Set for THE FINAL Vote on Tuesday, Dec 4

McMahon, Cory J cory.j.mcmahon at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 22:30:52 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: Disability Rights Education and Defense Fund
To: cory.j.mcmahon at gmail.com
Sent: Saturday, December 01, 2012 3:05 PM
Subject: CRPD: Urgent Need for Action! It's Set for THE FINAL Vote on Tuesday, Dec 4

If you're having trouble viewing this email, you may see it online.

      Share This:

                              THE CRPD FINAL VOTE IS SET!
                              U.S. Senate, Tuesday, Dec. 4, at 12:00 pm Eastern

                              Time is running out.  This Tuesday, December 4th at 12PM the CRPD will be voted on by our Senators--make sure they do the right thing and vote YES.

                              We have all worked years to come to this point. Over 300 disability and veteran organizations, and thousands of disability advocates have weighed in and worked tirelessly to get a vote on the CRPD in the Senate. But, a small and LOUD opposition led by Rick Santorum and the Tea Party is using misinformation to take the votes that we have all worked so hard to secure. Senators opposed to our treaty have agreed to a vote without amendments because they think the disability community will NOT win. We must prove them wrong.

                              We are DOWN the votes we need, but the disability community SHOULD NOT AND DOES NOT GIVE UP!

                              Can we count on you? Will your Senators be a "YES" vote? We need 67 VOTES to win, and this will be a VERY close vote. WE NEED YOUR STATE!

                              At this point, right now, an ACTION by you in your STATE will get us a positive REACTION in the Senate. Actions from now until the vote are critically important.

                              Along with Monday's plan to swamp the Senate switchboard with calls to the Senators listed below, we need actions everywhere so we demonstrate how important ratification is to our community, to the future of people with disabilities everywhere.

                              The International Day of Persons with Disabilities on Monday, Dec. 3rd remains a day to call the nine senators on the list below -- no matter where you're from. Don't forget to call and don't forget to tell everyone you know to call!

                              Make your support know in the press, in the media, in your Senator's offices. Call, Tweet (with #CRPD), sit in, whatever action works for you, do it.  Remember, doing nothing will not get us anything. Doing nothing will get us NOTHING.

                              Email and tell us what actions you have planned for this weekend and for Monday, The International Disability Day. Tell us that you're making calls!

                              EMAIL, FAX, and DROP OFF the new CRPD handout in MASSES.  Get it to the PRESS in your area.

                              Link to CRPD Handout
                              http://usicd.org//doc/SupportheCRPD%20AD.pdf
                              Find your Senator's contact here!
                              http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

                              IN ADDITION TO YOUR OWN SENATORS, EVERYONE PLEASE CONTACT THESE SENATORS WHO NEED SPECIAL ATTENTION. IF WE ACT, THEY WILL LISTEN:

                              Senate Switchboard:  (202) 224-3121

                              Isakson (GA)
                              Chambliss (GA)
                              Grassley (IA)
                              Moran (KS)
                              Blunt (MO)
                              Heller (NV)
                              Hutchison (TX)
                              Hatch (UT)
                              Portman (OH)

                              Please act quickly and do your part to make this a WIN for the disability community around the world.  Let's not look back and think of what we should have done but what we DID do!

                        3075 Adeline Street | Berkeley, CA 94703 US

            This email was sent to cory.j.mcmahon at gmail.com. To ensure that you continue receiving our emails, please add us to your
            address book or safe list.

            manage your preferences | opt out using TrueRemoveT

            EmailNow powered by Emma