[Nfbmo] Sorry, here it is Ray Kurzweil

Ruby Polk r.polk1 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 15 15:57:24 UTC 2012

Google Hires Famed Futurist Ray Kurzweil
»
By John Letzing
Ray Kurzweil, the author and big thinker on artificial intelligence and
other topics,
announced Friday he’s been hired by Google to “work on new projects
involving machine
learning and language processing.”
He says he’ll officially be on board at the search giant Monday. A
Google spokeswoman
did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Kurzweil is best known for his theories about “The Singularity,” or the
point in
the future when technology becomes so advanced that it starts
outsmarting humans
on its own. Some of the concepts are laid out in a somewhat wacky
trailer
for his 2010 film “The Singularity is Near,” which features Tony
Robbins, Alan Dershowitz
and Kurzweil himself.
The hiring of Kurzweil builds on existing ties between the author and
Google. The
Mountain View, Calif., company has partly funded Kurzweil’s Singularity
University,
an academic program launched a few years ago in Silicon Valley to prep
students for
a tech-heavy future and such concepts as nanotechnology and robotics.
Kurzweil described his new title at Google as Director of Engineering.
In the blog
post announcing his hiring, he wrote: “In 1999, I said that in about a
decade we
would see technologies such as self-driving cars and mobile phones that
could answer
your questions, and people criticized these predictions as unrealistic.
Fast forward
a decade–Google has demonstrated self-driving cars, and people are
indeed asking
questions of their Android phones.”
He added, “I’m thrilled to be teaming up with Google to work on some of
the hardest
problems in computer science so we can turn the next decade’s
‘unrealistic’ visions
into reality.”

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional