[Nfbmo] thought you might find this interesting

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 04:15:44 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

I received this message from my friend Sierra, who was a national
scholarship winner this year.  I have pasted it below.

* * *

As most of you know, I have spent the last two summers interning at
the National Archives in the Office of Presidential Libraries. Last
summer, while doing research for the anniversary of the Americans with
Disabilities act of 1990, I discovered NARA did not have a digital
copy of the ADA. Surprised that this landmark legislation was missing,
I talked to my supervisor about adding a copy to the library's digital
catalog. That one conversation has grown into a web resource featuring
a variety of records relating to Americans with disabilities from all
of the Presidential Libraries. The resource went live this week on
NARA's website at:
http://www.archives.gov/research/americans-with-disabilities/
You should check it out. There are over 50 records ranging from Helen
Keller's letters to  President Hoover to photos of the dinner
President Clinton gave to honor the Special Olympics. I especially
like the Braille letter a 13 year old boy sent to President
Eisenhower.

The resource was designed with accessibility in mind. For example,
each textual document has a corresponding transcript. If, while
looking around the page, you find any problems please let me know in
the next two weeks so I can work on getting them fixed before I leave
Washington D.C.

One last thing, the Archives is really promoting the site this week on
social media including Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr. Please check out
the National Archives Facebook/Twitter pages and help us get the word
out about this cool resource.

Thank you,
Sierra

--
Julie McG
 Lindbergh High School class of 2009, National Federation of the Blind

life."
John 3:16