[Nfbmo] Medical cuts for recipients of the Blind Pension

Gary Wunder GWunder at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 1 20:07:39 UTC 2012

Hi folks. As many of you know, a legislative proposal has been advanced to
move the money that now goes into medical care for recipients of the blind
pension to higher education. At first the reaction of the legislature was
anger because of the way the proposal was presented, but as that reaction
settles over time, there is a serious look at discontinuing medical care as
a part of the program. If this happens, people would have to qualify under
the regular rules of Medicaid or what is now known as Missouri Health Net.
The income level is approximately $800 per person or $1,250 for a couple.
This means that anyone receiving the blind pension is close to being over,
and any SSDI or other income will prohibit one from qualifying.

What I need are some folks who are willing to have me tell the governor
their story about how much they depend on Medicaid or, more technically, the
medical care that they now get through BP. People particularly at risk are
those who do not have or do not qualify for Medicare, people who have no
private insurance and either cannot afford it or won't qualify because of
preexisting conditions, or folks with lots of out of pocket expenses.

There is a hearing on this on Monday, but public testimony will probably not
be allowed. I think that any statement the governor may want to make should
come before that hearing, so being prompt about getting with me will help.
Please write me off list--there is no need for you to trumpet your need to
everyone here. Do not reply to this message, but write to me at
gwunder at earthlink.net
If you don't think you can communicate your need in writing, call me at
(573) 874-1774. Either way, be sure to give me your phone number in case we
need to talk.

Gary