[Nfbmo] hb's

Gary Wunder GWunder at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 6 01:12:30 UTC 2012

Hi Bryan. Here's what I know. I understand that HB1835 is a dig at the Post
Dispatch and has little chance of passing.  Apparently the revenue it would
raise would be quite small.  We were able to get some television coverage in
central Missouri today but frankly the segment wasn't very good and featured
yours truly.  While the interview was good, the bottom line question ended
up being how these changes would affect me.  I can't very well be the poster
child for the impoverished blind person given that I've worked for the
University, currently work for the National Federation of the Blind, and am
able to purchase, albeit through group plan, and expensive health insurance
plan.  It is a little bit like Barack Obama going on television to talk
about the plight of the poor black American and then being asked how cuts to
a head start program will affect him directly.  I don't know that people
were able to get that point, however, and though I think it was unintended
on the part of the reporter, it actually would have been much more effective
to have somebody doing the interview who truly would be substantially hurt
by the cut.  I was not a very good representative for blind people today.  I
could explain the philosophy and economics, but I can't bring the same
emotional appeal when asked to apply it to my own household.  My apology.

We do plan to have somebody at the hearing tomorrow and to be a part of the
meeting with the governor at 2 PM.  I think it is a press conference but I'm
not sure.

I don't believe that members of the Missouri Council of the blind have yet
taken to office visits.  I think they had a strategy session earlier today
but cannot yet judge the reaction of most of the general assembly to this
proposal.  I suspect we will know more come Wednesday.

Warmly,

Gary