[Nfbmo] Telemarketers flooding phones and cell phones

DanFlasar at aol.com DanFlasar at aol.com
Mon Mar 12 20:27:58 UTC 2012

HI all,
     I've been noticing an enormous increase in  telemarketers calling both
my land line and my cell phone in the last  month.  I'm now getting at
least 3 spam calls on my cell phone and 1 or 2  on my land line daily.
Has anyone else noticed this?  How have you been dealing with  it?  Below
are my comments on the source of these calls and what  you  can do about it.
And if you have suggestions, I'm all ears.
    I consider this to be on-topic because we all depend on  our phones and
as blind and visually impaired consumers, it's a bit more  difficult for us
to distinguish these calls from legitimate ones.

These new calls call at all hours from 8 am to 10 PM.   They  rarely leave
a message and sometimes the calls end after 3 rings.  If  you have caller
ID, you'll get just the number - no description.  I check  on-line every time
I get a new spam call to find out more.  The experience  I've gathered from
users reports is that if you actually answer the call, you  might get a
notice to press 1 if you do not want to receive commercial messages  - DON'T
PRESS ANYTHING!  Doing so tells the telemarketers that they have a  live
number.and won't stop the calls.   Don't call the numbers to have  yourself taken
off their calling list - they will just hang up on   you.
    It doesn't matter if  you're on Missouri's Do Not  Call List or the
national one either, for both cell phones and land lines -  these are
auto-dialing robocalls that go numerically through all possible  combination of
numbers in an area code and exchange.   Almost all the  area codes for these
calls have come from Eastern Washington State around  Seattle and Tacoma, but
also from Oregon - a few have been from Clearwater,  FLA.
    Though most are telemarketers, some have been coming  from legitimate
nonprofits.  One company in Auburn, WA contracts with  non-profits to call
their current and former membership lists to get you to  renew your
membership/subscriptions, etc.  It is legal for these  organizations to call - they
are not covered by the Do Not Call laws.  But  they have to take your number
off their call list if you request it.
     The biggest problem with this new group of callers  is that they call
3 times,hang up without leaving a message.  You have to  call them and they
will ask you to send money to your alumni association, public  radio
station, trade journal or the like.   They called at all  hours.  I suspect that
the organizations that contracted with these  telemarketers got so much bad
feedback that the robocalls may be discontinued  soon.
    It is also legal for a company you do business with to  call you
soliciting new services.  You can tell them you don't want to  receive such calls
and they have to note that in your record - if you so  desire.

   There are a few things  you can do:
1.  If you have caller-id (hopefully talking caller-id) and   you don't
recognize a number from an unfamiliar area code, don't  answer it.  If the
caller is legitimate, they'll leave a message.

2.   If the caller doesn't leave a message, don't call the number  back -
that puts  you higher on their calling list!   Most of  these calls are to
get you to buy a security system, get a credit card, repair  your debt,
refinance your home and the like.  These are not legitimate  offers - they are
only seeking to get personal information from you - they are  phone phishing.
Don't ever give personal information to an unsolicited  call unless you know
the company and have requested the service.  Better  yet - you initiate the
call!

3.    Block the number:  Contact your land line  provider to find out how
to block a phone #.  Charter offers a service that  will block up to 12
numbers - not nearly enough but it's a help.  If  you're a Charter phone user,
pick up your handset, get a dial tone and  press *60.  You will get a voice
menu instructing you how to proceed.
      Sprint offers a page detailing how you can  eliminate different types
of phone contacts such as voice, pictures, texting,  etc.
    Contact your cell phone service provider to get info on  how to block
phone #s.

If  you're a Sprint customer, here's the link,  Logging in will  take you
to the page describing their calling services including blocking  calls.
Here's the link for Sprint.
_https://mysprint.sprint.com/mysprint/pages/sl/global/login.jsp?targetPage=h
ttps%3A%2F%2Fmysprint.sprint.com%2Fmysprint%2Fpages%2Fsecure%2Fmypreferences
%2FmyPreferencesLanding.jsp_
(https://mysprint.sprint.com/mysprint/pages/sl/global/login.jsp?targetPage=https://mysprint.sprint.com/mysprint/pages/secur
e/mypreferences/myPreferencesLanding.jsp)

I think you can get up to at least 100 phone #s blocked.  Once you add  and
save the phone #s, you have to turn off  your cell phone for a minute  or
so.  The blocks will take effect within 15 minutes after your phone is
turned back on.
    You can also call your provider and they will be happy  to tell you how
to do this and, if you tell them you're blind or visually  impaired, they
will do it for you if you wish.  I don't know what Verizon  or AT&T offer.

4.   There are apps for the Android platform - I don't know about  the
iPhone - that you can use to block known spammers.  One is called  MrNumber that
analyzes calling patterns among their customers as well as web  reports.
If they notice that the same numbers are calling multiple  subscribers
multiple times, they will flag it as a suspicious #.  They have  a web page where
users can report their experiences.  I don't know much  about how good the
service is, how much it costs and how legitimate it is but  it's been
reviewed on some on-line business sites.  Anyone know  anything about it?  Again -
this is only available for SmartPhones  using the Android operating system.
Does anyone know of a similar app for  the iPhone?

     This is just going to get worse until consumers  demand action from
State Attorneys General and comments to the national  DoNotCall lists.  These
practices are blatantly illegal.

Finally, cell phone customers can get free directory  assistance.   Sprint
asks you to fill out a form - not fillable  on-line - that you can print out
and fax or mail to them.  It does ask for  verification of visual
impairment via a health care professional.  If  anyone's interested, I can send an
attachment to the list.

   Dan