[Nfbmo] Resemt Zipped Audio of 03/13/12 Jay Nixon BlindPensionHealth Care...

DanFlasar at aol.com DanFlasar at aol.com
Wed Mar 14 14:23:56 UTC 2012

I have to agree with Gary.
     Elected officials have to know - and show - that  they have public
support for their actions.  Think of it this way: if, in  spite of the dire
consequences and misinformation promulgated about the health  care program for
Blind Pensioners no one bothered to publicly show up to support  the
governor in vetoing any budget that eliminates the program, his position is  very
much weakened and could well decide that if we don't care that much, why
should he stick his neck out?   And further, lack of such evident  support
could be rightly seen by the those opposed to this program that it isn't
reallly that important to anyone.
      I've been noticing lately a disturbing trend  among some
beneficiaries of long-standing programs that help to compensate for  social inequality.
 Some feel that the 'wars' have been fought and  won, that because they
'carried signs' in the past means they are exempt from  further defense of
their rights and to support programs that will make a huge  difference to them.
This trend is happening in the NAACP, NOW as well as  the NFB.       I'm
actually not so much responding  to your post now, Bryan, but rather to what
I've heard lately from some  affiliated and non-affiliated blind people who
have benefitted from the  NFB.   Like it or not, the political and social
sentiments that gave  rise to civil rights legislation is being challenged by
some very powerful  forces.  It's up to us to push back.
    You're absolutely right that calls, letters and   emails are absolutely
necessary - that showing up at a rally does not exempt  anyone from
follow-up.  The numbers add up and can sway a legislator who is  on the fence to
consider their position more reasonably.

Dan

In a message dated 3/14/2012 8:47:39 A.M. Central Daylight Time,