[Nfbmo] Jernigan Award

Gene Coulter escoulter at centurytel.net
Wed Mar 28 01:56:12 UTC 2012

Hello folks,
I was chatting with someone the other day about why the dog tag is the
simple of the Jernigan Award and the customs of it.
First of all it is a dog tag to honor George Rittgers who had served in the
Navy.
The tradition which has slipped recently is that all  winners wear their
dogtags to the banquet to honor George’s leadership in the early days of the
affiliate and to honor his courage under life threatening circumstances for
the rights of blind vendors.
So, those of you who have the Jernigan Award dog tags I believe this  being
our 50th convention would be a great time to  breath life back into this
tradition.
Gene