[Nfbmo] FW: Gov. Nixon issues statement on Governor's Amendments submitted to FY 2013 budget

Gary Wunder GWunder at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 28 23:26:00 UTC 2012

  _____

From: Murphey, Sam [mailto:Sam.Murphey at mo.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 6:04 PM
To: Murphey, Sam; 'David Ekin'; 'Christopher Gray'; 'Denny Huff'; 'Gary
Wunder'; 'Gina Gowin'; 'rmabry at alphapointe.org'; Bundy, Seth D
Subject: RE: Gov. Nixon issues statement on Governor's Amendments submitted
to FY 2013 budget

All,

Below are two stories regarding this afternoon's announcement.  Please let
me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Sam Murphey

AP: Mo. gov. says extra federal money could help blind

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) - Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon says his administration
has identified some additional federal money that could help avoid cuts to a
program that provides health benefits to the blind.

Nixon's administration said Wednesday that most of the additional $18
million of federal Medicaid money could be used to restore the blind benefit
cuts included in a budget plan passed by the House.

That budget plan would eliminate a $30 million health care program for the
blind and replace it with a slimmed-down, $6 million program. Nixon has
opposed the cut. But House Republicans say it is necessary to avoid making a
cut that Nixon had proposed to public colleges and universities.

Nixon's new budget recommendations will be considered first by the Senate
Appropriations Committee.

Columbia Daily Tribune: Nixon finds money for blind health program

Rudi Keller

JEFFERSON CITY - Gov. Jay Nixon has found $17.75 million for a medical care
program that helps almost 3,000 blind Missourians, the state Office of
Budget and Planning said Wednesday.

The money, which is about $10 million short of the amount needed to fully
restore the program, is available because of better-than-expected returns on
Medicaid claims to the federal government, the office said.

The news release that announced the money highlighted three budget
amendments Nixon is sending to the state Senate as it prepares to work on
the fiscal 2012 budget, which has already passed the House. In addition to
funding medical care for the blind, Nixon wants to use a $50 million federal
grant to purchase and implement a new computerized eligibility and
enrollment system for the state Medicaid program.

In a statement issued after the news release, Nixon said the budget changes
are affordable.

"As I have from Day One, I will continue to balance our budget, hold the
line on taxes and maintain strict fiscal discipline," the prepared statement
quoted Nixon as saying. "We will live within our means to keep the state's
fiscal house in order and to protect vital priorities, such as providing
health care for needy blind Missourians.

"These additional funds will be available assist the Senate in fully
restoring our health care program for the blind and ensuring that 2,800
needy blind Missourians continue to receive the vital services they need.
This is the right thing to do, and I look forward to working with the Senate
to fully restore this critical program."

The third budget change Nixon is proposing is a $250,000 study of the impact
of Missouri's military bases on the nation's military readiness and the
economy.

The blind medical care program was eliminated in the Missouri House as
lawmakers sought to shift state funds to state colleges and universities.
After Nixon publicly criticized the move and blind groups lobbied to restore
the money, the House found $2 million to begin what House Budget Committee
Chairman Ryan Silvey called a "transitional" program to help the poorest of
those who lost the benefit.

The medical program for the blind operates like the state Medicaid program
but is fully paid from state revenue. The recipients of the aid have income
or assets that exceed Medicaid limits.

The $50 million for updating the state's Medicaid computer system also
became a lightning rod for criticism in the House. The money comes from a
federal program linked to the health insurance exchanges that are a key part
of the federal health care overhaul now being argued before the U.S. Supreme
Court. Republicans in the legislature have blocked all attempts to implement
a health insurance exchange in the state.

Silvey refused to consider spending the money because Nixon had not asked
for it in a formal budget amendment. The action Wednesday meets that demand,
but only after Silvey had finished work on the budget.

The money to study Missouri's military bases is being sought as rumblings
about a possible new round of base closings are coming from Washington. U.S.
Rep. Vicky Hartzer, R-Harrisonville, has a public forum on base closings set
for next week in Jefferson City.