[Nfbmo] NPR.org - Doc Watson, Folk Music Icon, Dies At 89

DanFlasar at aol.com DanFlasar at aol.com
Wed May 30 16:35:42 UTC 2012

Doc Watson is very well-known among bluegrass/oldtime country fans like
me.  I've seen him in concert at least 3 or 4 times here in St.  Louis..  He's
been around forever.  I personally didn't think  NPR over emphasized his
blindness - anyone who knew of Doc Watson knew he  was blind just as we all
know Stevie Wonder is.   We're hearing about  him now because he died
recently, so everyone goes back into their archives to  get material to compose a
story.  NPR in particular generally conducts  in-depth interviews with their
guests.  And although Doc didn't seem to  dwell on his blindness in any of
the stories I've heard on him, over the course  of 40 minutes a life-changing
event like vision loss is inevitable.

    It's important to remember that the experience of people  who lose
their vision consider it to be a very big event in their life, whereas  someone
who has never been able to see never experienced a specific event that
caused their lack of vision (though we all get reminders all the time that we
live in a sighted world).
     He was a gentle soul - that comes out in his  interviews and his
music.  In one concert he was teamed  up with  Doctor John - whose genre is quite
different - Doctor John is roots New Orleans  rock/jazz/Cajun/voodoo
whereas Doc Watson is roots white folk/country (pre  1950s).   They did separate
sets for the most part but they did get  together for a few numbers at the
end of the event.   An interesting  evening with two of my favorites.  Another
night was at teh Sheldon some  115 years ago - just him, his guitar and a
stool... Had us all in the palm of  his hand the whole night.

    Here's a clip from Youtube with one of my favorites -  "Summertime"
from Porgy & Bess.  Enjoy!

Dan

In a message dated 5/30/2012 11:05:00 A.M. Central Daylight Time,