[Nfbmo] Fw: [MSB-Alumni] Blind Trumpeter Marching in Step

Fred Olver goodfolks at charter.net
Sat Nov 3 11:38:32 UTC 2012

Blank
----- Original Message -----
From: Steve
To: msb-alumni
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2012 11:16 PM
Subject: [MSB-Alumni] Blind Trumpeter Marching in Step

Blind trumpeter marching in step
By The Associated Press

A trumpet player from this eastern Iowa town is marching with the high school band, thanks to some help from his bandmates. The Gazette in Cedar Rapids says 14-year-old freshman Jalen Howsare has been blind since he was a toddler. His eyes were removed because of tumors, an illness called bilateral retinoblastoma. He has prosthetic eyes and is cancer-free. Howsare marched with the band for the first time during competitions in September. During performances, his bandmates figure out where he's supposed to go and guide him during each song. You have to watch out for other people around him," junior Mikaela Lighty told The Gazette. Whoever's closest to him takes control and takes him to his next spot and leads him by putting their hand on his shoulder,' junior trumpet player Taylor Walkner says. Once the band takes the field, the action is non-stop. You need good bandmates to help you get through it,' Howsare said. I worked on (marching) more and more until I finally had some idea of where I was supposed to go. Band director Desmond Cervantez has worked with Howsare since sixth grade. He says that Howsare is "fearless" and that having him in the band builds upon its mission of giving back.

Steve

Class of '72