[Nfbmo] Fw: On the Move on the Senate Floor--Let's Do This!

McMahon, Cory J cory.j.mcmahon at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 12:37:59 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: Disability Rights Education and Defense Fund
To: cory.j.mcmahon at gmail.com
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 9:25 PM
Subject: CRPD: On the Move on the Senate Floor--Let's Do This!

If you're having trouble viewing this email, you may see it online.

      Share This:

                              THANK YOU!!! CRPD IS ON THE MOVE!

                              On Tuesday we marked a major milestone. the Motion to Proceed on the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities passed in the Senate!  ( See vote count here). All of your incredible work is paying off.

                              The Motion to Proceed allows the CRPD to be brought up for consideration.  Now that this hurdle is passed, amendments will be discussed and then when the Senate Majority Leader feels confident we have the 67 votes we need, he will move to a final vote.  Below are materials about filibusters and cloture - procedural issues that may come up.

                              There is no time to waste - this is THE TIME to get all of the YES votes firmed up!

                              We have a busy week ahead - this is the final moment.  Wednesday on the Senate floor will be a discussion of amendments (remember we are asking for the Senate to add NO additional amendments).  It is essential you and your networks contact senators and let them know we are counting on their YES vote!

                              Now, we need to do two things:

                              1) Thank the senators who joined our community and voted YES today.

                              2) Push more Republican Senators to join our ranks (we're so close).

                              The Thank You List:

                              Republican Senators who voted YES today: Murkowski (AK), McCain (AZ), Lugar (IN), Collins (ME), Snowe (ME), Brown (MA), Ayotte (NH), Hatch (UT), Barrasso (WY)

                              The message for these senators is: Thank you for your YES vote on Tuesday for the CRPD! The disability community is with you!

                              The Please Vote with Us List:

                              Group 1: (these senators said they would vote YES but they did not): Cochran (MS), Moran (KS), Blunt (MO)

                              Group 2: Heller (NV), Hutchison (TX), Coburn (OK), Enzi (WY)

                              The message for these senators is: I am a disability advocate/person with a disability and I want you to vote YES on the CRPD with no new amendments! This is important to the disability community!

                              Senate contact information:
                              http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

                              MATERIALS OF INTEREST REGARDING PROCESS
                              Filibusters and Cloture in the Senate:  http://www.senate.gov/CRSReports/crs-publish.cfm?pid='0E%2C*PLW%3D%22P%20%20%0A
                              Cloture: Its Effect on Senate Proceedings:  http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/98-780.pdf

                              We're so close - let's do this!

                        3075 Adeline Street | Berkeley, CA 94703 US

            This email was sent to cory.j.mcmahon at gmail.com. To ensure that you continue receiving our emails, please add us to your
            address book or safe list.

            manage your preferences | opt out using TrueRemoveT

            EmailNow powered by Emma