[Nfbmo] Nearly blind St. Charles runner changes route due to neighbor concerns

Randy Carmack randycarmack at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 19:19:12 UTC 2012

Group,

I heard this story on the radio and am shocked of the ignorance of
people in this day and age.  Although a story like this coming out of
St. Charles does not really surprise me.  I believe that the NFB
should do some things in St. Charles towards community education.
Maybe a big group of us could walk down the middle of some of their
busiest streets.  I know, not very feasible, just venting.

I provide the story and link below.

Thanks,
Randy Carmack

http://www.kmov.com/home/Nearly-blind-Missouri-man-compromises-on-route-173110531.html

Nearly blind St. Charles runner changes route due to neighbor concerns

by Associated Press
KMOV.com
Posted on October 8, 2012 at 8:26 AM
Updated today at 12:27 PM

ST. CHARLES, Mo. (AP) -- A nearly blind suburban St. Louis marathon
runner has agreed to tweak his route because neighbors feared
colliding with him.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch says that Dennis Atkins, 57, can only see
shadows of objects and differentiate between light and dark.

He used to run down the middle of streets in a St. Charles
subdivision, guiding himself by focusing on black-line expansion
joints.

Now he's agreed to instead stay close to street sides where parking
already was prohibited. He'll focus on where the grass meets the curb.

Atkins also promised to wear bright-colored clothing and to stick to
less traveled streets.

Meanwhile, the city will post a sign or signs alerting drivers to
watch out for a visually impaired person. There's also talk of
reducing the speed limit.