[Nfbmo] Barriers to Employment

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 02:29:01 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

I will give a bit of a different perspective to the discussion of
employment.  First of all, for those of you who don't know, I am a
student.  I go to Webster University in St. Louis, and I study vocal
performance.  I am also quite proficient in German.  I plan to go to
grad school when I graduate for many reasons.  I'm not going to get
into all those reasons here, but I will outline some difficulties to
finding work as a blind performer.

There is, as with any job, the visual aspect of the work.  With
performing, it's the ability to navigate a stage as well as the acting
involved.  The ones doing the hiring don't want to give you a chance
if they even suspect you can't navigate a stage independently.  Here
I'm talking mainly about opera and musical theater jobs.  I am being
trained currently for opera, choral, and recital work.  These
challenges can be compared to other challenges blind people face every
day attempting to get access to their jobs in a visual world.

But there is another problem.  I have discussed this with other blind
musicians as well as the professors and coaches I work with here at
the university.  In an audition situation, they can refuse to hire you
for a performing job for so many reasons, most of them being
subjective.  Maybe I don't look the part, or maybe I don't sing one
cadenza correctly.  The reason almost doesn't matter.  This makes it
nearly impossible to prove discrimination.  An opera company may not
want to hire me because I'm blind, but officially all they might say
is that I'm not right for the part.  I have already experienced this
in a different way at my university.

I love what I do.  Singing is my thing, and I believe it is a gift
from God.  I would like to make a career out of it, but I may have to
prove myself more than the sighted musician.  One of you already said
that as blind people, we have to work twice as hard.  This is often
true in my profession.  I have to gain extra skills, be devoted to
learning certain things that sighted performers take for granted, and
take risks that can be extremely scary.  You try conducting or
physically acting in front of an audience of sighted people.  If you
think about it, it can be frightening.  But it can also be an amazing
learning experience.

I got a little off topic there, but I wanted to describe some of the
special challenges I face as a blind musician and performer.  I also
would like to note here that RSB doesn't have much experience dealing
with performers.

I believe that I can work my way to a job that I love.  But it will be
a lot of work.  I'll have to write again on the subject when I'm
actually in the job market...  I just wanted you all to see another
side of the job market.

Thank you for reading my novel.

--
Julie McG
 Lindbergh High School class of 2009, National Federation of the Blind

life."
John 3:16