[Nfbmo] Blind woman removed from Springfield flight

Matt Sievert matt.sievert at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 20:28:18 UTC 2012

Blind people on planes, oh boy,

I am going to make this brief.

I use a monocular to read signage in airports. Ever since 9/11 the use of a
monocular in an airport has been an issue. I have had several TSA officials
approach me in various airports asking me what I was filming. I identify
myself as legally blind and they want further proof and blah blah blah. So
I get out the ID card and we have a chat. They say I am good and off I go.

Sooooo,
now I carry my white cane in the airport no matter if I think I need it or
not. I poke that thing out in front of me and cruise through the airport
and go through security where they let me go through with the cane and then
pat me down afterwards. But no more questions about the monocular. They
obviously know I can see well enough to put my shoes in the bin and remove
my laptop from it's case. But as long as it keeps them from asking me about
my monocular. I am fine.

As far as boarding the plane. I take a lazy American stance.
If I fly Southwest Airlines I buy the more expensive fare that allows me to
board first and choose whereever I want to sit in a virtually empty plane.
Plus I get two free drinks. Which I usually give away to whoever is sitting
around me.

For the assigned seat flights I get on the plane. Stare at the aisle
numbers and do the dance everyone else does when they find their seat.
Although I have my "seat bag" separate from my "bin bag". So I have my
books and toys with me when I sit down, and don't have to figure out where
all my stuff is. Once I get to the airport I shove my coat, gloves, and hat
into my checked luggage, so I don't have to carry it around with me in the
airport and find someplace for it on the plane.

I don't like drinking in strange places anyways, becauase Alcohol although
wonderful impairs your senses. If you are handicapped. You need all the
senses you can find. If your a bit tipsy. you might appear more incapable
than normal. Especially if your tipsy and can't form full sentenses so
well. I keep this in mind whenever I am in a strange city or environment.
Especially if I need to find a way back to where I am staying. I enjoy
myself but stay mindful of my environment.

Matt Sievert