[Nfbmo] Senate Attempting to Sneak UNCRPD Through

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 24 18:38:58 UTC 2012

Hi Julie. See below. Note that when people are against a thing they normally
say we are allowing international law to trump our own. I am not a lawyer or
historian, but normally we do whatever we please in the same way that other
soverign nations do, and seldom do we agree to things that really limit our
prerogatives.

Warmly,

Gary

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Urges Senate to Ratify
Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities

Baltimore, Maryland (June 5, 2012): The National Federation of the Blind,
the nation's oldest and largest organization of blind people, today urged
the United States Senate to ratify the United Nations' Convention on the
Rights of Persons with Disabilities, which is intended to protect the rights
of persons with disabilities throughout the world.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said:
"As an organization comprised of blind people advocating for ourselves, we
know the critical importance of laws, regulations, and policies that protect
our rights and allow us to fully and equally participate in society.  All
people with disabilities, in every country, deserve equal rights and an
equal opportunity to contribute to society.  We urge the U.S. Senate to
ratify this convention immediately so that the dignity and rights of all
disabled people are recognized and protected."

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind is the
largest and most influential membership organization of blind people in the
United States.  The NFB improves blind people's lives through advocacy,
education, research, technology, and programs encouraging independence and
self-confidence.  It is the leading force in the blindness field today and
the voice of the nation's blind.  In January 2004 the NFB opened the
National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and
training center in the United States for the blind led by the blind.