[Nfbmo] potential spam on nfb-mo list

DanFlasar at aol.com DanFlasar at aol.com
Tue Jan 8 21:40:08 UTC 2013

Fred,
   It could be anything - including a virus.   The  terms tend to be not
very strictly bounded but here are some definitions:
Spam - unsolicited advertising.  However, what seems like a chance to
lower your credit card interest rate may actually be an attempt to get your
personal information, which is called Phishing.

Phishing - a solicitation to apply for a service or product, usually from a
 well-known brand-name but which is actually a fake website that wants to
get  your credit card #, ss #, Birth date, etc.

Malware:   Software that resides on your computer that hijacks  your
computer's resources - it comes in many forms - telling  you that you  have a
virus and y ou have to buy a 'virus protection' software that will clean  the
virus - this is known as ransomware.   Or it can take over your  computer and
send out malware or spam to everyone on your addressbook.  Or  it could clog
up your hard drive with excess files it's created, or it could  disable
your firewall and virus protection software or shut down your  sound.  There
are many varieties.

Spyware:  Software that resides on your computer that monitors   your
keystrokes, searches for personal financial information and sends it to the
spyware creators, or it could open up a portal to your pc for criminals to
search your PC.

Roboware:    Software that takes over your PC and acts in  conjunction with
other infected computers to act as one to attack websites, such  as a
government or corporate site - also called Zombieware.

Viruses:   Software that can do any of the above things but has  the added
characteristic of being able to spread itself to other computers by
hitchhiking via your email or by sending itself over insecure channels to other
PCs.

Worm:   Another older term - worms usually aren't malevolent -  they were
usually projects to see how far a piece of code could successfully  penetrate
secure systems.   The problem came from the worm reinfecting  systems over
and over again, clogging up systems and degrading  performance.  The most
famous one happened in the late 80s, slowing down  systems all over the world.
 The author, a student, was identified and  spent several years in jail.

       Strictly speaking spam is unwanted  advertisements but the term has
grown to encompass any unsolicited intrusion  into your computing
environment.  Spam can also occur via a website via  pop-up windows, or taking you
from a website to another  one.  Personally, I consider all computer ads to be
spam.
    Hope this helps.
Dan

In a message dated 1/8/2013 3:08:59 P.M. Central Standard Time,