[Nfbmo] Fwd: FW: Where are we with Medicaid expansion now? Point in time update

DanFlasar at aol.com DanFlasar at aol.com
Wed Mar 6 16:46:33 UTC 2013

____________________________________
 From: cory.j.mcmahon at gmail.com
To: cory.j.mcmahon at gmail.com
Sent: 3/6/2013  7:34:52 A.M. Central Standard Time
Subj: FW: Where are we with Medicaid  expansion now? Point in time update
Cory  McMahon

Where are we with Medicaid  expansion now?
I thought it was time to  bring folks up to speed on the where we are
regarding Medicaid  expansion.  We have five bills that touch on Medicaid
expansion  plus the budget bills that must include expansion as well.  So  first,
the five bills that would put Medicaid expansion into statute  have been
filed so far:
HB 627 Hummel’s bill  (straight forward Medicaid expansion) was heard last
week and voted down  in committee.
SB 349 LeVota’s bill  (straight forward Medicaid expansion) was referred to
Approps  Committee.
SB 131 Nasheed’s bill  (straight forward Medicaid expansion with annual
sunsets) was referred  to Veterans and Health Committee no hearing  scheduled.
HB 700 Barnes’ bill  (Medicaid reform with no expansion) was filed last
week and has not been  referred to committee.
SB 456 Parson’s bill (no  expansion but would sunset any change to
MoHealthNet in three years) was  filed last week and has not been referred to a
committee.
We do not think that Barnes  bill will heard until after spring break.  We
may have a hearing on  SB 349 before that so stay tuned.
Medicaid expansion coming  out of the House budget committee is seems to be
unlikely.   Chairman Stream has mentioned in committee that he plans on not
 including Medicaid expansion in the committee substitutes that will drop
tomorrow.  Chairman Schaeffer has gone out of his way to throw cold  water
on expansion and on the ACA in the press, on the floor and in  committee.  So
it will be interesting to see how the Senate  Appropriation committee will
deal with the Governor’s recommended  budget.
There has been a flurry of  Tea Party activity around Medicaid expansion
this week with noted Tea  Party bloggers jumping on Sen. Parsons and Sen.
Dempsey regarding the  filing of SB 456, calling it a shell bill could be a
stealth vehicle for  expansion.  Dempsey and Parsons felt compelled to respond
via  social media that they are against expansion and the  ACA.
As we move forward we will  try and watch the many balls in the air as
expansion moves  forward.

Brian Colby
Policy Director

Missouri Health Advocacy Alliance