[Nfbmo] Looking for Info About Basic Cell Phones

Fred Olver goodfolks at charter.net
Tue Mar 19 12:50:24 UTC 2013

Let's face it, we tend to use our hearing to gain most of our information
anyway, so why not the iPhone?  there are other factors which come in to
play here. There is the fact that in one felled swoop you can eliminate the
need for over $3,500 worth of blindness related products in your home.

There are apps which will identify money, saving? $100 at a minimum

There are apps which will function as a bar code reader, saving? minimum of
$300. and that is i believe for a used one. The new ones can cost as much as
$1,200.00

Your speech program is built in. Saving? Well, if you use MVDA, nothing. If
you use Jaws or Window Eyes saving? a minimum of $900. I know, there's the
Sendero products for about $300, right, Brian?

Scan and read software cost for the Iphone? $40. Cost for conventional
scanner and software Minimum of $800

Want to read a book? There are several apps which will allow you to read
books on the Iphone, Ibooks, Voice dream and read to go. Cost? $15 at the
most. Library of Congress player? free, but those tax dollars have to come
from somewhere. Victor Stream? Over $300

Want to read the newspaper while on the go? NFB Newsline is available for
the Iphone as well.

Want the weather, sports radio,or your local radio station? All are
available with the Iphone. I think I paid $4 for my ESPN app and $3 for my
radio app. Oh, and let's not forget the phone has a built-in reminder app
and an alarm, so you can set it when you go to bed at night, once and it'll
wake you the next morning and all the mornings to follow. And did I happen
to mention there is a timer on the phone as well?
I can use it as a ham radio device, catch up on news from NPR CBS or the BBC
at no charge.

There are cooking apps with hundreds of recipes and games galore, most for
free. There is an app which will identify a particular shirt or blouse for
you.
Need a color identifier? Cost $600 and up. there are color identifiers for
the iPhone which will cost maybe $2 and apps that can navigate you with
walking directions or by car. Google maps is just one of these apps. There
are light detectors, ways to record and review lectures and even a compass.
Want to go to the movies? What's on you ask? Fandango is an app which will
not only tell you what's on, but where the theater is located and how to get
to it. There are checkbook programs which you can use to keep track of your
balance and record transactions. blindbargains, Access world and i-blink
radio all offer apps to keep you informed as to developments in technology.
There is an app, iTunesU which allows you to listen to college lectures.
There's a functional camera, and you can even record audio tags to remind
you of what the picture is. There are walkie-talkie programs to let you keep
in touch with your friends, why there's even a thermometer you can get, put
it in your grill and monitor the temperature remotely. and let's not forget
about the built-in iPod, you can take your music with you where ever you go.
. Let's not forget the thermostatic apps which you can use to control the
temperature in your home from anywhere in the worldand podcasts on just
about everything from sports to life-style. facebook becomes somewhat more
usable on the iPhone and you can even use Braille to input your information
if you just can't get comfortable with the conventional keyboard. There is
even an app, Vo starter which will teach you the various jestures for
voice-over in order to make it work for you and books are now available for
the accessible Nook app for your phone. There are apps which will allow you
to listen to OTR, become a bird-watcher, lose weight, become a gardener use
your phone as a wireless microphone, function as a DJ watch movies, access
Craigs list access skype, and magic jack, and let's not forget about
dropbox. I used that just last week to read an ajenda I had forgotten to
bring with me to a meeting.

Want to learn how to use the Iphone to it's maximum? Go to National Braille
Press and get the book or update, Getting Started with the Iphone, less than
$20
http://www.nbp.org

Need some help learning how to use it? Give me a nudge,
goodfolks at charter.net
And oh, by the way, most of these applications are not, repeat not available
on the Android platform. and I forgot to mention email,  surfing the net and
sending and receiving messages via texting.

Yes, there is a learning curve, but there's a learning curve for Jaws,
Window-Eyes and even the Open Book software. Keep in mind that no one, not
one person was familiar with using jestures as a way to access information
on their phones ten years ago, what, you think it's more difficult because
you are blind? That doesn't sound like the NFB way of thinking. Look, we all
have limitations, but with practice the iPhone can become a part of your
life, just like your cane or dog guide. Don't get mad at it, just put it
down and come back to it later.

Fred Olver