[Nfbmo] FW: [State-affiliate-leadership-list] Vehicle Donation Program

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 19 13:05:17 UTC 2013

From: State-affiliate-leadership-list
[mailto:state-affiliate-leadership-list-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of
David Andrews
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2013 8:01 PM
To: state-affiliate-leadership-list at nfbnet.org
Subject: [State-affiliate-leadership-list] Vehicle Donation Program

>From Joanne Wilson:

Dear NFB Affiliate Presidents,

The National Federation of the Blind always steps up to get the job done.
Many affiliates are actively working to assist in finding new financial
support for our national movement and we have just launched a new program
that should allow each of our affiliates to make a difference. The National
Federation of the Blind has launched a vehicle donation program. The vehicle
donation program allows us to accept car donations anywhere in the United
States. Our national office and our affiliates have been turning car
donations away because we have not had an effective program for managing
these donations and turning them into cash for the organization. We have now
solved this problem and we need your help to take advantage of this
opportunity.

After extensive research, the Federation has made an agreement with Vehicles
for Charity to process our car donations. Besides cars, we also accept vans,
RVs, motorcycles, dirt bikes, boats, trucks, and tractors.  However, it is
up to us to capture the donors by promoting the fact that we can accept
vehicle donations and finding creative ways to get the word out. TO begin, I
am asking you to take some immediate steps to help with this effort:

1.	Spread the word in your affiliate that the NFB is now accepting
vehicle donations. Encourage members to send all referrals to the page on
our website www.nfb.org/vehicledonations or to our toll free vehicle
donation number 855-659-9314.
2.	We will be creating some standard text for every affiliate to place
on the front page of the affiliate's website. Please see that this gets
posted without delay.
3.	Consider placing information in your newsletters and other
publications.
4.	Promote this in your social media channels.
5.	Consider if there might be a member in your affiliate who is looking
for a new opportunity to contribute to the movement and whether or not this
program might be a good fit for their skill set. We need Federationists who
can find creative ways to get the word out and who will uncover
opportunities to promote this in your state.
6.	Share with me ideas you have about how we can get the word out about
this program.

As we move into spring we will be building this program out in more detail
and providing more supporting materials. If you assign a member to help
promote this program, please send their name and contact information to me
so we can send them communications. We will be planning a conference call
soon to answer questions that people might have about the program and share
ideas for spreading the word.

We are starting with the tried and true Federation local outreach to get the
word out. As we build success with this venture, we will have the capacity
to consider other forms of promotion such as advertising. Consider this
notion. If fifty one of our affiliates (unfortunately we cannot operate the
program in Puerto Rico) generates ten referrals with an average donation
value of $500 we are talking about better than $250,000. That is easily
within our capacity in 2013. Maryland has already generated one this week
and all we did was answer the phone and have the ability to say yes we can
take your donation rather than turning it away. Imagine what we can do with
some Federation creativity and enthusiasm.
and if each of our affiliates generates 100 car donations per year, we will
have a tremendous base to build on.

Let's start calling in the cars!

Yours in the Federation,
Joanne