[Nfbmo] FW: [State-affiliate-leadership-list]Vehicle DonationProgram

DanFlasar at aol.com DanFlasar at aol.com
Tue Mar 19 16:25:54 UTC 2013

Bryan,
    A reasonable question.   I looked into this a  year or so ago and found
out that fake organizations such as "Heritage for the  Blind" are far from
being an outlier.   New York State identified at  least 4 of the ones we've
seen ads for as being fraudulent.  Cars for Vets  - and it's many variants -
is a fake.  Hugs for Drugs is another  one.   Many of them were traced to
an extremist religious sect in New  York operated out of the home of the sect
leader.  The real intent of the  monies coming in was to keep their kids
from having to come into contact with  children of other faiths - it went to
support their home-schooling  efforts.
      Something else I found out was that if you  google these fake
organization's names, "Heritage for the Blind", and "Missouri"  for example - you
will get hundreds of links - most of which are junk and  salvage yards all
across the state.  The salvage yard gets a cut,  the charity gets a cut and so
on.  Evidently, there is an agreement that  the fake - and real - charities
receive from the government that facilitates the  process.

    There are many reputable organizations that will receive  your car as a
donation - NPR, Sierra Club and the Coalition for the Environment  locally
to name a few.
       I'm thinking of filing a complaint  against "Heritage for the Blind"
a/ the Attorney General because they are  misrepresenting themselves as
offering 'services to the blind'.   This  turns out to be a website that rarely
opens up and a listing of national  services for blind people - much out of
date and nothing that you couldn't find  easily enough on your own or from
RSB - or the NFB, for that matter.
      The NFB does have a name, we are easily  identifiable via our web
presence and our work on blind issues on state and  federal levels.  Most
advisors on charities emphasize that you investigate  the charities ranking and
reputations before you donate  anything.

   I donated a van in 2004 to "Coalition for the Environment"  because I
really liked what they were doing.  I got a good sized tax  deduction for it.
     I don't think at this time I can coordinate and  campaigns for this
but I will be willing to receive and distribute  information.

Dan

In a message dated 3/19/2013 10:46:21 A.M. Central Daylight Time,