[Nfbmo] Julie's recital

DanFlasar at aol.com DanFlasar at aol.com
Sat Mar 23 04:26:10 UTC 2013

Hi all,
    I attended Julie McGinnity's senior recital  tonight  - I wish you all
could have been there.  I don't have the  language to describe her voice -
but I begin to understand why people become  opera fans.  It's one thing to
hear music via speakers, but it's  another to feel the full acoustics of a
voice washing across the audience,  encompassing a full dynamic range.
Starting out with some German  lieder (classical songs), a medley of American
spirituals, hymns and forms I  don't recognize, the event ended with Julie
bringing up Brie to the stage  and singing "Old Mother Hubbard", in the manner
of Handel.   I  don't think Brie was quite sure what was going on but she did
seem to look up  questioningly when the word 'Bone' was sung.  At the end,
she was  awarded with lots of petting, which she of course loved. It was
pretty funny,  and sweet as well.   Good to see such a good partner serenaded
on such  a big night. The audience really loved it!
  Quite and experience.  I did some photos during and  afterwards - I think
there are a few very good shots.
      Couldn't stay for the reception - had to get  home to prepare for a
meeting tomorrow.
     Thanks for the invitation, Julie!
Dan