[Nfbmo] Pre-agenda

Fred Olver goodfolks at charter.net
Fri Mar 29 02:47:22 UTC 2013

Hi Gary,

After looking over the agenda, I'm a bit disappointed, but also not
surprised that you aren't going to spend more time on i-devices. Although
diabetes continues to be a substantial player in blindness, access is the
keyword in the 21st century. With the passage of laws pertaining to
descriptive video, major networks are required to offer four hours of
programming per week, but it's only the beginning. I wonder how many folks
have not enjoyed a DVS movie? This is a direct result of the work the NFB
has done with regard to the 21st century Communications Act passed last
year.

As you may recall Apple computers were one of the first with operating
systems which worked with text-talker software in the early 80's and now the
i-devices have the potential if they have not already exceeded the use of
Braille in what independence they can and have and will allow people who are
blind or visually impaired. . Were I in a position to do so, I would have
sought out Apple stores to have them do a hands-on seminar of i-devices, for
kids and/or adults.

In order to refresh your memory I have placed the text of a message I sent
to the list some months ago. This landscape is changing on nearly a weekly
basis with new offerings in GPS applications like the one from Seeing Eye,
scanning products, the implementation of an app from NLS this summer which
will allow the downloading of books to i-devices and games for something fun
to do. But wait, let's not forget NFB Newsline, available for i-devices and
Learning Alie courtesy of Recording for the Blind an app which allows for
the downloading and reading of material again on i-devices.

Just so you know, there is a new product which is called standscan pro which
provides very highly accurate scans of materials when used with either text
grabber or prizmo each scanning apps for the iPhone.

Also, there are two recording apps.

FiRecorder and dropvox which for minimal cost allow one to create
recordings. The second one can be uploaded to drop box and downloaded and
played on windows-based computers. These items have only recently become
available and in each case, the developer appears to be commited to making
the product accessible.

Fred Olver

COMPARING THE USES OF BRAILLE AND THE IPHONE

A couple months ago I read an article in a Lions magazine about the Iphone.
Indeed, I have had one now for about a year and a half and I am counting
down the days until I can get my Iphone 5, two weeks from today infact. The
author pointed out a number of things that the phone can do, most of which I
was familiar with. Indeed, if I leave my home in the morning all I believe I
need is my Iphone my cane and my keys. However when I was asked to speak to
you, today I began thinking about how the Iphone and Braille are both
functional and how they contrast and compare with each other.

First I started by looking for the definition of Braille and found these two
items, informative, but not what I wanted. WHAT IS BRAILLE?

>From the American Foundation for the blind

Braille is a series of raised dots that can be read with the fingers by
people who are blind or whose eyesight is not sufficient for reading printed
material. Teachers, parents, and others who are not visually impaired
ordinarily read braille with their eyes. Braille is not a language. Rather,
it is a code by which languages such as English or Spanish may be written
and read.

Wikapedia

Braille is a tactile writing system used by the blind and the visually
impaired, and found in books, on menus, signs, elevator buttons, and
currency. Braille-users can read computer screens and other electronic
supports thanks to refreshable braille displays. They can write braille with
a slate and stylus or type it on a braille writer, such as a portable
braille note-taker, or on a computer that prints with a braille embosser.

Braille is named after its creator, Frenchman Louis Braille, who went blind
following a childhood accident. At the age of 15, Braille developed his code
for the French alphabet in 1824 as an improvement on night writing. He
published his system, which subsequently included musical notation, in
1829.[2] The second revision, published in 1837, was the first digital
(binary) form of writing.

So I changed my question to "What is Braille used for" via Google and
essentially found the same information coming up with a few additions
including "101 Ways to Use Braille", not real informative, but a good place
to start, so I then decided to make my own lists.

What is Braille used for?

Making musical notation

Generating computer programs

Over 100 languages

A mathematical code

Taking notes

Labeling containers DVD's and cd's

Identifying creditcards and insurance policies

Reading books magazines cards uno, pinochle and regular.

The game of Monopoly

Bathroom doors classrooms and elevators

Vegetables can goods and left-overs

Stoves and micro-waves and possibly remote control devices.

Identify clothes by color various Bibles and these are just afew.

Now, what can we use the Iphone, Ipad or Ipod for?

First of all you need to understand that each of these can be used with
refreshable Braille displays connected via Bluetooth, thus providing you the
flexability of using a combination of simply Braille, speech, or both.

Text messages, email, labeling pictures,

Creating memo's in either audio or written format

Identify money, colors. Tell time use a timer and geo-cash, the Iphone for
example has a built-in compass. Take notes, figure out what movie to see and
how to get there, talk around the world, listen to your favorite sports team
on radio stations, choose what music you want to listen to or grab the news
and weather from a local newspaper or network. Catch up on the latest
technology via podcast, Play games, dcreate lists and scan documents, take
pictures, create grocery lists or have an address book at your fingertips,
figuratively that is, make your own videos for youtube or place them on
facebook where you can check the status of others or change your own, get
the latest tweet from your favorite rockstar etc. read manuals, call for
practically nothing, find new applications for free, keep track of your
checkbook, explore transactions in your checking account or pay your phone
bill

Set up reminders for meetings, birthdays and anniversaries. Find a recipe,
read a book, or magazine or attend a college lecture.

Check my stocks, search the web or listen to Oldtime radio, function as a
DJ, wirelessly, participate in birdwatching, lose weight and gardening.

Not have to buy a separate speech program which can cost as much as
$1,000.00

Order pizza, check TV listings find my car, video chat, read and write a
speech set an alarm. Check the temperature set on my home thermostat from
miles away or while on vacation and make sure the meat on the grill is
cooking at the right temperature and last but not least, pick out a shirt
and pair of pants that match.

What has happened here is that with these I-devices one can actually expand
the use of Braille in to areas here-to-for not accessible. With the
incorporation of a speech program the Iphone, Ipad and Ipod have allowed
blind, visually impaired as well as those with many other speech-related
disabilities including autism, cerebral palzi, epilepsi and hearing impaired
individuals to become part of the mainstream, to be able to function as a
part of society, not apart from it. The long and the short of it is that
although you can do many things with them both, each is revolutionary
because of the flexability they each offer in being able to send and receive
communications either with one's self or with others.