[Nfbmo] 2014 Convention Announcement

Gene Coulter escoulter at centurytel.net
Sat May 18 20:15:58 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

As you all know I expressed some concern at the board meeting at State
Convention about next year’s convention which was supposed to be in
Columbia. My worst fears came to pass as right after convention Gary Wunder
and I met with the Quality Inn and we mutually decided to seek a different
location for our 2014 convention. Over the past month it seemed like a full
time job trying to seek any location. About a week ago I even seriously
considered getting the state board together to see what direction to go
perhaps skipping Columbia. I had received only two bids one from Rolla and
one from the Capitol Plaza in Jefferson City.

I had the Columbia Convention and Visitor’s Bureau working with me pleading
to local hotels not to let our business go. I had one hotel that refused to
bid until September which is totally not acceptable. So, I was relentless in
my pursuit of the three remaining possibilities. This week I finally got the
word I had been waiting for. The long and short of it is that is as follows:

Announcing the 52nd Annual Convention of the National Federation of the
Blind of Missouri in Columbia at the Holiday Inn Select at 2200 I70 Drive
SW. The convention will run from Thursday March 27

 Through Sunday March 30. Room rates are $84.95 for singles, doubles,
triples and quads. No more than four people in a room. Tax is 11.975% making
the total cost  about $97.00 a night or about $6.50 more than in 2013. I
called to make a reservation for these dates and was quoted a cheapest price
of $124.00 a night for these dates. Reservation deadline is March 4, 2014.
All planned meals remain at the same price as 2013. The hotel has two
restaurants. For breakfast, lunch and dinner there is the ESPN Sports zone
and for dinner only is the four star high priced Churchills. There is also a
small atrium  watering hole that also provides light breakfast items. The
hotel has the largest fitness center of any hotel in the Midwest and an
indoor pool. Wi-Fi is available in all public areas.

Important notes: Check out is 11:00 am and is not movable. Late checkout
will be assessed an additional half day’s room rate. Exhibitor will need to
make their desires known several weeks in advance as the contract states we
will provide  a list of all exhibitors to the hotel well in advance.