[Nfbmo] the lighthouse situation

Fred Olver goodfolks at charter.net
Thu May 23 19:52:56 UTC 2013

      Lighthouse for the Blind-St. Louis laid off 24 employees this week due
to dwindling government contracts.
      The organization's headquarters and medical packaging facility is
located in Overland and a chemical packaging facility is located in
Berkeley. There are 82 remaining employees.
      Blind, visually impaired and sighted employees at the nonprofit
organization produce goods for government agencies.The proceeds fund
professional career development, scholarships for educational and
recreational camps, and other programs.
      In a statement, Lighthouse for the Blind said it will continue to
offer its full range of education and social programs for people who are
blind or visually impaired in Missouri and and southwestern Illinois despite
the layoffs.
      “Many businesses across the United States, both for profit and
not-for-profit, have felt the impact of the U.S. government’s troop draw
down and military cuts in spending over the past two years, as well as the
recent government sequestration," president John Thompson said in a
statement. "Due to the fact that a significant percentage of LHB’s
manufacturing operations are directly related to U.S. government and
military contracts, LHB made the extremely difficult decision to reduce our
workforce at both manufacturing plants to better mirror the current workload
demand.”

      Donnagail R. Carr
      cell: 314-609-0833

No virus found in this message.