[Nfbmo] 8th season of Books & Beyond begins this wednesday

NJ Lynn freespirit at accessibleworld.org
Sun Oct 6 18:16:15 UTC 2013

As the subject says, we begin our 8th season this coming wednesday. We have a list of people who are interested in receiving all Books & Beyond announcements. It exists so that you don’t receive the same announcement more than once. If you’d like to be on this list, please write to me at freespirit.stl at att.net and I’ll add you to it. It’s just a distribution group in my contacts list and not a formal list. Do not send me a blank email thinking I’ll know what you want. Your request is being handled by a real person, not a computer. Thanks. Now here’s the first announcement for the new season.
Books And Beyond Welcomes Narrator Patrick Downer, Wednesday, October 9, 2013
Newswire:
Whether your choice  is science fiction, biography, adventure, westerns, or social science, you will find a book to satisfy your interest   by Wednesday’s guest, Patrick downer. We are all familiar with those who    fill our days and nights with reading.  Many are so much   a part of our lives their voices are as familiar as dear and treasured friends.
As the landscape of narration changes, we encounter on a daily basis fresh voices assuring us this art form is not just alive and well but in skilled  hands for years to come.
Patrick Downer came to my attention through his reading of the novels The Interview Room and Virgin Lies written by Roderick Anscombe.
While talking with narrator Gregory Gorton about the training of narrators at Potomac Talking Book Services, I mentioned Patrick Downer. Gregory got us together. We will all have the pleasure of meeting him on our next show.
Patrick told me this will be his first interview. I assured him he will be in good hands.
When I looked at the books narrated by Downer available on the Bard site, I was thrilled to discover 132 and think it’s about time this fine man receives the attention and spotlight he so richly deserves.
What is it like to embark upon your very first interview as a narrator? Is the work what he expected? Does it ever become just a job? How does Patrick prepare for reading each day. What does he enjoy in his spare time? What  types of scenes or books does he most enjoy narrating?
I hope you will join us in meeting and getting to know Patrick Downer. If you’ve heard Pat’s narrations, you are already familiar with his fabulous voice and narration.

e-Mail: bonnie at accessibleworld.org
Date: Wednesday, October 9, 2013
Time: 5:00 PM PST,                                        ,   6:00 PM MST,
7 PM CSt
8 PM EST, ,
and elsewhere in the world Thursday,   12:00 GMT.

Approximately 15 minutes prior to the event start time; go to

The Books and Beyond Room at:

http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs3cfe7424e06c

Or, alternatively,

Select The Books and Beyond Room at: www.accessibleworld.org

Enter your first and last names on the sign-in screen.

If you are a first-time user of the Talking Communities online conferencing
software, there is a small, safe software program that you need to download
and then run. A link to the software is available on every entry screen to
the Accessible World rooms.

All online interactive programs are free of charge, and open to anyone
worldwide having an Internet connection, a computer, speakers, and a sound
card. Those with microphones can interact audibly with the presenters and
others in the virtual audience. To speak to us, hold down the control key
and let up to listen. If no microphone is available, you may text chat with
the attendees.

Accessible World uses News Wires, like this one, to inform people of the
topic and times for the many Discussion Groups on Accessible World. The
lists are announce only to keep the traffic to a minimum. You can join the
Accessible World Announce List, the Tek Talk Announce List or the Sports
Talk Announce List by completing the form at:

Accessible World Contacts:

Robert Acosta, Chair

Accessible World

818-998-0044

Email: boacosta at pacbell.net

Web: www.helpinghands4theblind.org

Marcia Moses, Events Coordinator

Accessible World

734-495-1496

Email: mgmoses at comcast.net

Steve Hoffman, President

Talking Communities

Email: steve at talkingcommunities.com

The Accessible World, a division of Helping Hands For The Blind, a 501(c)(3)
not-for-profit organization, seeks to educate the general public, the
disabled community and the professionals who serve them by providing highly
relevant information about new products, services, and training
opportunities designed specifically to eliminate geographic and access
barriers that adversely affect them.  aspect