[Nfbmo] More on Heritage for the Blind

DanFlasar at aol.com DanFlasar at aol.com
Wed Oct 16 02:19:01 UTC 2013

Hi all,
     I've been following through on the "Heritage for  the Blind" issue and
found that it is only one instance of a large group of  similarly unknown
'charities' all related to a New Jersey religious sect called  the Oorah in
New Jersey.  I'm sending a link that refers to a St. Louis  Post-Dispatch
story from last year which details a lot about Oorah based ona  deceptive
charity called "Kars4Kids".  The New York Attorney General  identified "Heritage
for the Blind" as being another front for the Oorah  sect.  As the article
below notes, donations to these websites  have little if any relation to
services for the blind.
   Note that all these false charities seem to all have IRS  certification
for their non-profit status, but there are numerous stories from  the Better
Business Bureau noting that they received little or no requested
information from these 'charities'.  The question is, what do we do  about it?  I
don't think we need to spend any money, get any lawyers  or anything like that,
but a note to the Attorney General might make a  difference.   And to the
point, since this is a national problem, is  it something the national NFB
should get involved in?  Should the NFB call  out "Heritage for the Blind" as
a fraud, and if so, how?

    Here's the link - it's a pretty disheartening  story.

http://kars4kids-scam.blogspot.com/

Dan