[Nfbmo] {Disarmed} Jean Norris: Who created books the blind and the sighted could read together.

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 15 16:54:57 UTC 2014

I like this story. It is very moving. The only thing that saddens me about it is that the role that blind people played in this project has completely been left out. In Jean's telling of the story, she credits Dr. tenBroek with telling her she should go forward with the project, with offering funding for it, and even with helping her come up with the name. I know that this person had only so much space in his article, but why is an organization of the blind so much shorter to say the National Federation of the Blind? I'm not trying to be argumentative; I only think that it is unfortunate that so much history portrays those of us who are blind as the passive recipients of other people's charity, when the truth is that we work hard in these charitable and governmental efforts as well, both to create, monitor, and work in them.