[Nfbmo] Story about blind child having cane taken away

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 17 18:42:46 UTC 2014

I am sure many of you have read the story about the North Kansas City school
that took away the cane of an eight-year-old child and tried replacing it
with a swimming pool noodle. We have written to offer the child a free white
cane, have made an offer to the school district to become involved, and have
suggested to the parents that we might be worthy advocates if they need. On
a very refreshing note, Lawrence Luck called the superintendent of the
school, his call was returned, the superintendent said that the actions of
the school were unfortunate and would not happen again, and it is definitely
Lawrence's take that the school is interested in learning and doing right by
the young man. I'll be interested in hearing if others of you have
reactions. Hats off to Lawrence for this contact.

Gary Wunder, President