[Nfbmo] FW: In case this is of interest: Fwd: [State-affiliate-leadership-list] Fwd: Blind Exchange StudentIn case

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 27 14:15:03 UTC 2014

If you are interested in helping a foreign student with some lodging, please
look at what is below.

Gary

From: "Sandra J. Ward" <ward.sandra.jean at gmail.com>
Date: February 26, 2014 at 4:44:41 PM PST
To: president at nfb-oregon.org
Subject: Blind Exchange Student

Hi Carla,

My name is Sandra Ward and I'm a Local Coordinator with Academic Year in
America. I just spoke with your secretary, but I thought I would send you an
email too.

I really need your help. I am currently looking for a placement for our
Blind Student from Turkey, his name is Burak (goes by Koray). He is
currently in Michigan. His current host family had a their first baby
earlier this year and unfortunately had a death in the family this morning.
Koray is a quiet student and tends to be on the shy side. He needs a new
home right away. He goes back to Turkey in June, so it is not a long term
commitment. Even if someone could host him for a few weeks until we find a
more permanent home that would be great.

If you have any questions or if you know of a family that might be  willing
to host Koray please let me know as soon as possible. Sandra: 651-686-7485
or 612-840-6034

Would you be willing to post the following on your website?

Thanks so much!

Sandra Ward

Local Coordinator

AIFS Foundation
Academic Year in America (AYA)

Phone: (651) 686-7485 <tel:%28651%29%20686-7485>  home or (612) 840-6034
<tel:%28612%29%20840-6034>  cell

Web: www. <http://www.academicyear.org/> academicyear.org

Email: ward.sandra.jean at gmail.com

"We bring the world together"

Short-term Host Family Needed for Blind Foreign Exchange Student

Academic Year in America (AYA) is looking for a new host family for Koray
from Turkey; Koray is a blind student in our YES program. He is here on a
grant sponsored by the U.S. Departmen...t of State. Koray has been living
with a family in Michigan, but his host family is going through some
difficult life changes and can no longer host him. The host father's father
has been very ill and this morning he passed away. We need to find a new
home for Koray immediately!

Koray's interests include Goal Ball, Chess, and reading. He speaks and
understands English very well. If you have ever thought about hosting a
foreign exchange student this would be a great opportunity for you. Koray
returns home mid June, so you will only be hosting for about 4 months! You
could also host temporarily, while we find a permanent home for him.

Bringing an international student into your home is an excellent way to give
your family a "world view" of a different culture. There are several key
elements to the hosting experience. Host families must provide their student
with meals and a place to sleep and study. Most importantly, they must
welcome their student into their home as if they were a son or daughter. To
help facilitate the exchange experience, host families will receive
assistance from an AYALocal Coordinator.

To learn more about hosting Koray for the remainder of the school year or
hosting a new student for the 2014/2015 academic year, call Sandra Ward at
(651) 686-7485, or e-mail ward.sandra.jean at gmail.com. Visit AYA on the web
at www.academicyear.org
<http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.academicyear.org%2F&h=9AQG
H1Tha&s=1>

About AYA:
AYA is a not-for-profit organization designated by the U.S. Department of
State to offer J-1 visas to international students. AYA is sponsored by the
American Institute For Foreign Study Foundation, which was founded with the
assistance of the late Robert F. Kennedy. For more than 30 years, AYA has
offered more than 30,000 students and host families the rewarding experience
of learning about another culture and language and making a new lifelong
friend.