[Nfbmo] Election: Dates, registration, audio ballot and amendment information

celticcari36 celticcari36 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 22:03:02 UTC 2014

Hi Dan,
I have forgotten where my polling place is. Is there a number or website I can go to to find that out? Thanks

Peace,
Cari

On Jul 14, 2014, at 5:00 PM, Dan Flasar via Nfbmo <nfbmo at nfbnet.org> wrote:

First off,  because the upcoming Aug. 5th election includes primary
contests for national  office, audio ballots will be available.

   So all you folks who will be  out of town that day make sure you apply
for an absentee ballot so  you can  make  your vote count!

    In  another note, I just returned from poll-worker training this
afternoon.   I've been asking for years for training to include a description and
demonstration of the audio ballot - and today they came through!   So, at
least in St. Louis County, there will be at least 4 people at your  polling
station who have had that training!  Yee Ha!

    As far as getting  further info on ballot amendments, it all depends.
   Given that constitutional  amendments generally arise as part of a
movement  - partisan or otherwise -  the Secretary of State is mandated to
provide nonpartisan information regarding  these issues.  There have been
challenges to amendment  wording provided by the SOS on both the ballot and the
website,  but the SOS doesn't - and can't - provide an  in-depth look at the
politics.
    In general, people  very interested in what an amendment actually
means or how it  works is disputed by supporters or opponents.    It's hard to
get an 'objective' assessment for an amendment - best to find a source  you
have confidence in for guidance or analysis.  Your favorite  newspaper will
generally provide a voting guide within a week or two of the  election.

     KWMU 90.7 in St.  Louis (_www.kwmu.org_ (http://www.kwmu.org) )
offered a program   this afternoon offering analysis and opinions on the upcoming
ballot  items - which is the nearest thing I can find for an attempt to
describe the real-world issues behind the amendments.

     BTW, does anyone know how I can find  out info to evaluate judges who
are up for renewal? I've contacted  groups which share my particular
political orientation, assuming that they, who  inveigh heavily on who is and
isn't on the side of our particular angels, would  have some opinion - but in
fact, they had no info at all on which judges we  should keep or reject.
    I'd appreciate any info on how to find  this information out!

     It's too late to register for voting  in the August 5th election -
but you can still get registered now to make  sure you can vote in November.
And be safe - check your current  voting registration status!

     I know of one person in University City  who was told when she
arrived at the polls a year or so ago that she was not  registered - even though
she had been living in the same house for 30  years.    She disputed the
ruling with the County election board  on-site and found her polling station had
changed due to redistricting - she  just needed to go to the correct site.
It's always a good idea to  verify that you are registered and where your
polling station is to avoid extra  time and expense in getting to the polls.
A call to your voting  authority can explain how you can do that.

      If you are not on the  voter rolls at your polling site and you
believe you should be, you  can request a provisional ballot.   You will be
given a form to  fill out - and help in filling it out will be provided if
requested.    You will then be allowed to vote, but it will be on a paper ballot
- again,  assistance will be provided - in this case, by both a Republican
and Democratic  assistant Supervisor.   Your form and ballot will be placed
in a  special slot in a secure bin.   Your vote will not be included  until a
judgement is made regarding your actual qualifications.  You will  be given
an access code to use when inquiring the Board's decision about your  case.

    It is okay to bring someone in with you to  help you vote, if you
wish, and you may bring in written or brailled notes to  help you remember who
and what your ballot choices are.

          Very  important - you may NOT USE A CELL OR SMART PHONE IN THE
POLLING  PLACE!!!
That means no calls, no surfing, not even playing a  file.

      Perhaps a Victor Reader or the  like would work  - as long as it's
not internet/phone/camera enabled.   A digital recorder might be okay - but
only as a stand-alone  device.

    VOTE!   The more we vote for our  issues, the better the chance we
have of achieving them!

         Dan Flasar