[Nfbmo] Blind Pension Change

Eugene S. Coulter escoulter at centurytel.net
Sun Jul 20 01:36:46 UTC 2014

Greetings,
The Family Support Division is changing over computer systems again which is causing a slight change in how Blind Pension Reviews are being done which Carol and I found out about first hand on Wednesday. This only effects married couples.
If a client and their spouse are both getting Supplemental Aid to the Blind or Blind Pension their cases will be combined onto one case. The computer will actually send one person a letter closing their case without warning as it combines the two cases.
If you get such a letter that says your case is already closed wait a few days and another letter should come in the spouse’s name showing that they have been added. If you do not get such a letter either call 1-855-FSD-Info or go into the local Family Support Office. It appears  that letters are being postmarked 3 working days after being issued.
STEPS TO Take:
*If you and your spouse both get an annual review form I would still fill out both forms to avoid any chance of the case being closed. I would include your verification of bank accounts, pay stubs, and insurance policies with each review.
*If you get a closing letter without first getting either an “Request for Information” form or an “Adverse Action Notice” wait a couple of working days and contact FSD. Get the name of anyone you speak with.
One last note: I suspect, but don’t know for sure, that if one spouse receives BP or SAB and the other gets MO HealthNet  for the disabled or aged that those cases might be combined as well.
I hope this helps others as Carol and I had about a three hour coronary this afternoon before talking with a very caring caseworker in our local office who took his time to thoroughly check things out.

Gene
PS – BP and SAB Review notices are still titled “MO HealthNet Action Notice.”