[Nfbmo] Op-Ed sent to St. Louis Post-Dispatch regarding sub-minimum wages in St. Louis

Roger Crome rogerc at lifecilmo.org
Thu Sep 10 19:15:39 UTC 2015

Hi All!

Gary, my thoughts on this are based on my personal experience with working
in the sheltered workshop setting.  I understand that some guardians will
not want to see their family member go to work and may choose the adult day
hab option, but I can't think of one person that I worked with that could
not be worthwhile in competitive employment.  Pretty much the only thing
limiting the employability of the individuals is the perception of those who
are supposed to be supportive of them.  I was lucky enough to escape the
modern day slavery market and found a good job, but unfortunately, many of
my friends still work in these settings.  I personally say that we hold the
line of real work for real pay and let the chips fall where they may for
those who will not transition to competitive employment.  Plus, I think the
revenue in these places is sufficient to maintain minimum wage for their
employees.  So, I think that those in favor of the subminimum wage standards
are simply using a scare tactic or honestly believe what they are saying.  I
believe they are wrong.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Roger