[Nfbmo] The value of research, the value of sight, and our place as blind people in the world

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 20:36:09 UTC 2015

Hi Gary and all,

Gary, your message is well-written and full of wisdom.  The speech I
thought of was the one given by Dr. Maurer at this year's convention.
In this speech, he considered the advantages of blindness, something
the public can hardly fathom and something we rarely ponder.  Of
course, blind people can read in the dark, function in low to no
lighting, and are not light dependent in general.  But he also brought
up situations that I had never consider.  We do not judge people based
on our looks.  Yes, we are trained by society to dislike certain
physical traits, but when we are interviewing someone for a job, we
would not dismiss someone because their appearance was not pleasing to
us.  There were others in the speech.  I would encourage anyone who
didn't hear it to go find it on the website if it is available.

It is interesting to think of blindness (and disability in general) as
a type of diversity.  On its surface, this seems like a great idea.
After all, we have a "diverse" view of the world as a minority group,
don't we?

I attended an event last spring held by a group that discusses and
promotes the benefits of diversity.  They go into workplaces and
explain what it means to be a diverse world and how to welcome and
nurture a diverse work environment.  The groups they considered in
these categories were African Americans, the LGBT community, minority
religious groups, and people with disabilities.  The whole experience
of meeting these people and learning about their work was unsettling
to me.

Is disability truly considered diversity?  I believe that unlike the
other groups listed above, people with disabilities are not understood
as a diverse group of people because we are labeled based on what we
cannot do rather than what we are.

There are studies showing that the brain is able to compensate for
loss of sight by redistributing brain power to other parts of the
brain.  (Forgive me; I am no scientist.)  We learn to use our other
senses to perceive the world in ways most sighted people cannot even
imagine.  We have discussed before that the world would look different
if all its inhabitants were blind, but we would make progress just the
same.  For many of us, this is our perspective; this is how we live.
But it is not the reality that we find when we look for jobs, try for
that degree the university believes unreasonable for a blind person,
or refuse help from one well-meaning sighted person after another.

We are not yet appreciated for our unique perspective on the world
because the world is still mainly focused on fixing us.  You cannot
appreciate something you believe to be broken.  The answer is not to
stop the research but to change the attitudes of those doing the
research.  Sight is a good thing to have because the majority of the
world has it, not because without it one cannot live.

That, in escence, is what separates us from the other categories
mentioned above.  They (the African Americans, LGBT community, etc)
are appreciated and respected for who they are, at least in a mindset
focused on diversity.  Disability, on the other hand, is accomidated
and included.

I sincerely hope I didn't offend anyone in the making of this message.
These are simply some thoughts I have been considering over the past
few months.

--
Julie McGinnity
National Federation of the Blind of Missouri second vice president,