[Nfbmo] Explore Mobility Canes.mp3

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 21 12:36:50 UTC 2015

Hi, Nancy. I found this interesting. The question that comes to my mind immediately for the list is how you treat your canes? Now I understand that no one intentionally throws them on the ground and stomps them until they break, but, for example, when you are ready to pick up a load of groceries and put them into the car, do you throw your cane on the ground? When you carry in wood for a fire, do you do so one-handed or do you somehow put your cane out of the way? How many canes do you go through in a year? In my own case I go through several, and although they cost thirty-five dollars each, it's nothing like breaking a Victor Stream, an iPhone, or, God forbid, a refreshable braille display or notetaker.

Part of what I am getting to is that I tend to envision mobility enhancement devices as being external to the cane and to view the cane as something of a disposable device because, at least with me, I hit a surface that will crack or shatter it, occasionally I collide with someone or someone collides with me who breaks it, and sometimes it simply breaks when being folded or unfolded, or when being telescoped back into place. So should all of the smart hardware be inside a cane or should it be external?

I have no doubt that technology can be used to enhance mobility for blind people. Some of us find it incredibly difficult to walk a straight line. Having a sensor that could keep a straight would be helpful. Everybody would like some overhead protection that the cane simply doesn't afford. Indoor navigation is a dream waiting to be realized. Being able to follow someone in a line without frequently tapping their heal is something that appeals to me. So, while I'm all for these enhancements, I would like to know if the list shares my reservation about actually having it in the cane or what the fellow calls his stick.