[Nfbmo] {Disarmed} FW: National Federation of the Blind Newsletter - Reuniting with Family and Turning Fear into Action

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 1 20:35:48 UTC 2016

From: Mark Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind [mailto:IOF at nfb.org]
Sent: Monday, August 01, 2016 1:01 PM
To: Gary Wunder
Subject: National Federation of the Blind Newsletter - Reuniting with Family and Turning Fear into Action

 National Federation of the Blind logo with tagline: Live the life you want. <http://nfb.org/images/nfb/images/image/nfb_logo_2.jpg>

Imagineering Our Future

  Issue 88

August 2016

In this issue:

*	Message from the President <>
*	What's News at the NFB <>
*	Braille Certification Training Program <>
*	From the tenBroek Library <>
*	Education
*	Independence Market <>
*	Advocacy <>
*	Access Technology <>
*	NFB Calendar <>
*	Citation <>

 Graphic: section divider <https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/images/Divider.gif>

Message from the President

Dear Friends:

We recently returned from the annual family reunion—the convention of the National Federation of the Blind. If you have come to know our organization, had the opportunity to break bread with Federation members, and experienced our national convention, you understand why many of us think of it as a family reunion. For blind people, the convention is like home. It is a space where blindness is not the characteristic that defines us and where we are allowed to consider our hopes and dreams without the unfounded limits that others often place upon us based on their false fears about blindness.

The poet Maya Angelou once said, "The ache for home lives in all of us, the safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned." It is in that space, that home, that we create for each other in the National Federation of the Blind that we can examine the false limits placed upon us and consider how we continue to expand the possibilities. In the environment of the national convention, I always learn something new about the possibilities for blind people and I get energized to go out and transform our dreams into reality.

So much of what we hear about in the world has to do with fear. In fact, much of the policy that is promoted, the restrictions that are set, and the anger we experience comes from fear. Yet, often in our home is where we have the least amount of fear and where we can take a step back and reflect on the world around us. I was honored to have the opportunity at our home of the national convention to explore fear—how it artificially limits us and how we might positively understand it to expand the possibilities for us. I invite you to read "The Understanding of Fear and the Power of Progress <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5614&qid=1338070> " to see my thoughts on this topic and to share your own thoughts so we can continue to expand our understanding and explore new opportunities together.

I also invite you to make plans to come to our family reunion next summer in Orlando. During the fall, many of our state affiliates will be having state-level reunions and I also invite you to plan to attend one of those as a way of getting to know our organization at the local level.

Warmest regards,

 Graphic: Signature of Mark Riccobono <https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/images/MAR_signature.jpg>

Mark A. Riccobono, President
National Federation of the Blind

 Graphic: section divider <https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/images/Divider.gif>

What's News at the NFB

Submit Title II SANPRM Comments - Deadline Extended

The deadline has been extended to September 2, 2016, to submit comments on web accessibility to the DOJ. More information can be found on at https://nfb.org/titleiisanprm <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5639&qid=1338070>  and http://www.ada.gov/regs2016/sanprm.html <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5640&qid=1338070> . To submit your comments, visit the NFB's webform <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5641&qid=1338070>  or contact Kyle Walls at (410) 659-9314, extension 2223, or kwalls at nfb.org.

Health Care Kiosk Accessibility Agreement

The Massachusetts Attorney General, Maura Healey, and the National Federation of the Blind have reached an agreement with Pursuant Health, a company that manufactures and operates thousands of self-service health care kiosks in retail stores nationwide, that requires them to make kiosks and website accessible to consumers who are blind or visually impaired.

NFB-NEWSLINE® Expands Feature Allowing Independent Job Searches for the Blind

The NFB has added USA JOBS to the job listings feature of NFB-NEWSLINE®, a free information service it provides, with support from state sponsors, for people who are blind and print disabled. You can find details online on the NFB website <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5615&qid=1338070> .

New York Lawsuit Over Inaccessible Online Voter Registration

The NFB, the Center for the Independence of the Disabled, and individual plaintiffs who are blind, sued the New York State Board of Elections and Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) over online voter registration that is inaccessible to people with disabilities. Find the full press release at https://nfb.org/national-federation-blind-and-others-sue-new-york-over-inaccessible-online-voter-registration-people <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5616&qid=1338070> .

HathiTrust and the NFB to Make 14M+ Books Accessible

More than fourteen million digital books will soon be made available to blind and print-disabled users, thanks to a new collaboration involving the NFB and the HathiTrust Digital Library, a digital repository hosted at the University of Michigan. Find out more online <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5617&qid=1338070> .

Adult Rehabilitation and Employment Survey

If you are blind or visually impaired, reside in the United States, and are at least eighteen years of age, we invite you to participate in this survey so that we can gain a better understanding of your experiences as an adult who is blind or visually impaired, including your experiences with education, employment, training, and vocational rehabilitation.

If you complete this survey, you will be entered into a drawing in which five individuals will win a $100 VISA gift card. We offer you three ways to complete the survey: website (www.pdrib.com/ares <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5631&qid=1338070> ), email (pdrib2016 at gmail.com), or phone [(318) 257-2029].

2016 Blind Educator of the Year

The NFB has named Kathy Nimmer, a teacher at William Henry Harrison High School in West Lafayette, Indiana, as its 2016 Blind Educator of the Year. Read the full press release at https://nfb.org/national-federation-blind-names-kathy-nimmer-2016-blind-educator-year <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5618&qid=1338070> .

2016 Distinguished Educator of Blind Students

The NFB has named Janet Bernhardt, an educational consultant at the Louisiana Center for the Blind, as its 2016 Distinguished Educator of Blind Students. Read the full press release at https://nfb.org/national-federation-blind-names-janet-bernhardt-2016-distinguished-educator-blind-children <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5619&qid=1338070> .

Dr. Jacob Bolotin Awards

At the 2016 National Convention, the ninth annual Dr. Jacob Bolotin Awards were presented to four innovators who are helping blind people live the lives they want. The list of winners is available at https://nfb.org/national-federation-blind-awards-50000-1 <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5620&qid=1338070> .

National Federation of the Blind Scholarship Winners

The winners of its 2016 scholarships were awarded at the 2016 NFB National Convention in Orlando. You can find the list of winners at https://nfb.org/national-federation-blind-recognizes-thirty-outstanding-blind-students-0 <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5621&qid=1338070> .

 Graphic: section divider <https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/images/Divider.gif>

Braille Certification Training Program

Under a contract with the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, Library of Congress (NLS), the National Federation of the Blind administers the courses leading to NLS certification of Braille transcribers and proofreaders.

Starting in January 2015, all new students in the literary transcribing/proofreading courses began learning under the rules of Unified English Braille (UEB), and students who had been working in the older version of the course were switched to the new version during the year.

Successful completion of these rigorous courses requires a great deal of time and effort on the part of the students. We congratulate the following individuals who earned certification in literary transcribing during the month of March, April, and May, 2016, achieving certificates under the rules of Unified English Braille:

Arizona

Brendan Goldberg, Phoenix

Arkansas

Nicholas D. Swinney, Little Rock

Colorado

Daniel William Augusti Wilcox, Burlington

Georgia

Arnold William McElroy, Alamo

Iowa

Gene E. Campbell, Anamosa
Rodney Wayne Minter, Newton

North Carolina

Tevin D. McNeill, Laurinburg

Ohio

Jessica Thomas, Cleveland

Virginia

Sandra Hofstadler, Troy
Nancy Elizabeth van Kluyve, Troy

Washington

Angelica Dibella Lira, Gig Harbor

Wisconsin

Jamie L. Krueger, Oshkosh
Christopher Robinson, Oshkosh

The updating of the Nemeth and music courses to align with UEB is ongoing. Congratulations to the following students who achieved certification in the current version of the Nemeth transcribing course during the months of March, April, and May:

California

Leo Sisco, Camarillo
Deborah C. Ting, Stanford

Delaware

Tyreek D. Brown, Wilmington

Indiana

Nick A. Cherry, Bunker Hill

Iowa

John Ray Estes, Anamosa

Nebraska

Petr Viktorovich Strizheus, Lincoln

Ohio

Allan Ray Abruzzino, Grafton

South Carolina

Melissa Faye Burriss, Greenwood

Texas

Jennifer Susanne Effren, Copperas Cove

For transcribers and proofreaders who were certified prior to the adoption of UEB and need to update their credentials, a test was developed to allow them to earn a letter of proficiency in UEB, which is an add-on credential to an existing certificate. As of this writing, 140 individuals have earned this letter of proficiency in Unified English Braille from the Library of Congress.

 Graphic: section divider <https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/images/Divider.gif>

From the tenBroek Library

tenBroek Library Partners with Misericordia University on Summer Internship Program

This summer the Jacobus tenBroek Library was pleased to partner with Misericordia University <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5622&qid=1338070>  (MU) to administer our very first summer library internship program. MU is a Catholic university located in Dallas, Pennsylvania, incidentally only about a twenty-minute drive from downtown Wilkes-Barres, the birthplace of the National Federation of the Blind in 1940. Founded in 1924 by the Sisters of Mercy, MU’s mission is to provide their students with a quality education based on the tenets of mercy, service, justice, and hospitality. One of their initiatives is to send students out into the community to help build their professional experience and serve with like-minded organizations. With the NFB’s core commitment to advocating for the equality and independence of blind people, the two organizations found plenty of common ground when creating this program and the partnership has proven to be beneficial for all parties.

Many applications were received, but ultimately one intern was selected for the six-week program, during which time they focused on preservation and documentation projects in the Federation’s archives. For several years, the tenBroek Library has been recording oral history interviews with prominent NFB leaders and some of our most devoted partners in the blindness field. Until now the contents of these recordings, most of which range from 90 to 180 minutes in length, have been largely undocumented and unused. To begin making use of these fascinating recordings, interview logs featuring major questions and conversation topics with accurate timestamps were created. These logs will enrich the documentation on the program, help archives staff to plan for the future of the program, and assist researchers looking for first-hand perspectives on specific subjects.

The other major project tackled during the internship period involved rehousing a portion of the NFB’s extensive print photo collection, which needed updating to ensure its long-term viability. Also, as part of MU’s requirements for earning course credit, a research paper involving resources in the tenBroek Library and the NFB’s long-established philosophy was written and submitted for consideration in the Braille Monitor.

We would like to thank intern Alex Lester for his work this summer. Alex’s experiences while working in the tenBroek Library are documented in the "Interns' Corner <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5623&qid=1338070> " on MU’s local history projects blog. Additionally, the tenBroek Library would like to thank Dr. Jennifer Black, assistant professor in MU’s History and Government Department, for collaborating on the internship’s format, managing student recruitment, and serving as MU’s liaison during the program. We would also like to thank Jessica Garner, former MU archivist, for helping to establish the partnership between the NFB and MU. We look forward to continuing this successful partnership next summer.

 Graphic: section divider <https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/images/Divider.gif>

Education

NFB EQ

On June 19-25, 2016, the National Federation of the Blind hosted the second of three NFB EQ programs associated with its National Center for Blind Youth in Science initiative, which is funded by a three-year grant from the National Science Foundation (Grant No. 1322855). NFB EQ served twenty-one blind students (of high school age), and during the course of the week our NFB EQ students were tasked with solving a real-life problem, which required them to engineer solutions within some pretty hefty constraints. One piece of the solution required the students to design and build a life-sized watercraft. Another piece of the solution was to create and design a water filtration system to safely transport drinking water in their watercrafts. It is through this project that our students are able to hone their engineering skills—from technical knowledge, to problem-solving abilities, to the understanding that through engineering one can improve other people’s quality of life. Photos from NFB EQ are forthcoming and can be found on the National Federation of the Blind’s Facebook page <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5632&qid=1338070> . The next NFB EQ program will be held on July 31 through August 6, 2016, in addition to an NFB EQ teacher cohort program held August 2-6, 2016.

NFB BELL Academy

As of the first week of August, thirty-five NFB BELL Academy sites have been completed this summer, six will be partially completed, and five are ready to begin later in August. Over three hundred students from thirty states and the District of Columbia have received more than 17,000 hours of support in Braille and nonvisual skill development in a supportive atmosphere from positive blind adult role models. When combined with high expectations from family and the community, our NFB BELL Academy students are prepared to live the lives they want!

 Graphic: section divider <https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/images/Divider.gif>

Independence Market

At the beginning of July, the NFB Independence Market could be found in the exhibit hall at our annual national convention in Orlando, Florida. Visitors had an opportunity to browse our entire collection of sales products and much of the free literature available from the NFB on various blindness-related topics. We bring all of our sales items, because we know that our customers appreciate the chance to closely examine products before making a purchase. We also bring some of the free literature the NFB produces to acquaint especially new convention attendees with more of the NFB’s positive can-do approach to blindness. And, of course, we would not be able to operate our Independence Market at convention without the many, many volunteers who help out as product demonstrators, store keepers, and cashiers. A big thank you goes out to all of you!

A question we frequently hear is, “What’s new at the Independence Market this year?” Here is a partial list.

As some clocks we have been offering for years become no longer available, we look for new ones to add to our product offerings. This year we have a new talking travel clock and a new low-vision clock. The Talking Travel Clock with Countdown Timer and Vibrating Alarm <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5633&qid=1338070>  is fully accessible and speaks in a male voice. The features include time and date announcements, an optional hourly announcement, an audible and/or vibrating alarm, and a countdown timer. The setting buttons and date announcement button are located under a protective cover. The LCD display shows the time and date, and the foldout stand facilitates ease of viewing. Our Low Vision Digital LED Alarm Clock <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5634&qid=1338070>  displays the time in three-inch-high red digits and operates with AC power. The alarm, featuring a nine-minute snooze function, can be set for high or low volume.

Another popular category of products are our games. We now have a portable Magnetic Checkers <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5635&qid=1338070>  set, that makes it easy to play the game on the go. The game pieces are either square or round and differ in color.  The game board measures 10 3/4 by 8 3/4 inches and the white squares are raised and the black ones are recessed. Our Tactile Cribbage Board <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5636&qid=1338070> , used to keep score when playing the cribbage card game, is also new. The pegs can be differentiated by touch and are stored in the board. The board comes with Braille and print directions, but the playing cards must be purchased separately. We also added the Quiddler card game <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5637&qid=1338070>  to our product offerings. This game is a fascinating cross between Scrabble and rummy and can be played by anyone who can read and write. The cards are marked in Braille, and Braille and print instructions are included.

We are often asked if we sell a low-cost, easy-to-operate digital recorder. We now carry the Olympus Note Corder Dp-311 <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5638&qid=1338070> , which we believe fits the bill. Use this basic, digital, audio recorder with easy-to-use tactile controls to record voice memos, lectures, and more. Features include three recording modes; a high quality, large microphone; an external microphone jack; variable playback speed; optional noise cancelation during playback; a headphone jack; and a high-power speaker. The unit records in MP3 format. Recordings may be stored in the two-gig internal memory (166 hours of recording time) or on SD cards (not included). We also provide Braille and print instructions written by one of our members, making learning to use the recorder even easier.

In the next issue of Imagineering we will introduce the remaining products that were new this year.

For more information about the products and literature available from the NFB Independence Market, please visit us online or contact us via email at independencemarket at nfb.org or by phone at (410) 659-9314, extension 2216.

 Graphic: section divider <https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/images/Divider.gif>

Advocacy

Accessibility and Self-Advocacy in Higher Education

Just in time for fall semester, the National Federation of the Blind has released the following resources for college and graduate students and college administration. Equal access on campus remains a priority area for the NFB. Too often, blind students are dissuaded from the classes and degrees of their choice because campuses do not have procedures in place to provide accessible textbooks, internships, learning management systems, and other electronic information technology. Self-advocacy is often a critical skill for success in higher education. Take time now to review the information below and forward the resources to other blind students and campus administrators.

•    Self-Advocacy in Higher Education Toolkit Version 2.0: https://nfb.org/self-advocacy-higher-education <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5624&qid=1338070>
•    High-Stakes Testing Self-Advocacy Toolkit: https://nfb.org/high-stakes-testing-self-advocacy-toolkit <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5625&qid=1338070>
•    Higher Education Accessibility Online Resource Center: https://nfb.org/higher-education-accessibility-online-resource-center <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5626&qid=1338070>

For more information, contact Valerie Yingling, paralegal, at (410) 659-9314, extension 2440, or vyingling at nfb.org.

 Graphic: section divider <https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/images/Divider.gif>

Access Technology

In July, the access technology team flew, if not literally (though that would be a welcome skill) then at least in spirit. At national convention, as part of the access technology seminar, we hosted sessions on academic ebooks, Pearson’s accessible equation editor, and how to build sites accessibly in Drupal and WordPress.

We’ve also been busy planning the next few accessibility boutiques. The July boutique on WordPress was already on the books, and we have now added one on "Testing Accessibility with NVDA" on August 11, and another on "Accessible Websites Made Accessibly: An Introduction to Drupal," on September 26. The boutiques are held in Baltimore at the National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute with support from the Maryland Department of Disability through a Nonvisual Accessibility Initiatives grant. For more information, please visit https://nfb.org/free-accessibility-training-boutiques <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5627&qid=1338070> .

Finally, because nothing refreshes the mind like a new piece of technology to try out, the team has written a two-part blog post on the BrailleNote Touch. If you are curious about what was arguably one of the most anticipated releases of the year, head over to the blog for a matched set of informed opinions.

 Graphic: section divider <https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/images/Divider.gif>

NFB Calendar

Upcoming Events

May 23-August 26, 2016: NFB BELL Academy held at forty-six sites throughout the nation. More information at https://nfb.org/bell-academy <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5628&qid=1338070> .

July 31-August 6: NFB EQ (second iteration)

August 2-6: NFB EQ teacher cohort

August 18-25: WBU-ICEVI General Assembly, Rosen Centre Hotel, Orlando, Florida, www.wbu-icevi2016.org <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5629&qid=1338070>

State Conventions

Arizona <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5642&qid=1338070>  - September 9-11

West Virginia <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5643&qid=1338070>  - September 8-11

North Carolina <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5679&qid=1338070>  - September 16-18

North Dakota <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5645&qid=1338070>  - September 17

Maine <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5646&qid=1338070>  - September 24

Wyoming <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5647&qid=1338070>  - September 24

Hawaii <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5648&qid=1338070>  - October 1-2

Kentucky <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5649&qid=1338070>  - September 30-October 2

Minnesota <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5650&qid=1338070>  - September 30-October 2

Alaska <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5651&qid=1338070>  - October 7-8

Georgia <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5652&qid=1338070>  - October 7-9

Iowa <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5653&qid=1338070>  - October 7-9

Indiana <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5680&qid=1338070>  - October 7-9

Montana <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5654&qid=1338070>  - October 7-9

Nebraska <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5655&qid=1338070>  - October 7-9

District of Columbia <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5656&qid=1338070>  - October 12-15

Oregon <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5657&qid=1338070>  - October 14-16

Rhode Island <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5658&qid=1338070>  - October 14-15

Washington <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5659&qid=1338070>  - October 14-16

California <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5660&qid=1338070>  - October 21-23

Arkansas <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5661&qid=1338070>  - October 28-30

Colorado <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5662&qid=1338070>  - October 28-30

Delaware <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5663&qid=1338070>  - October 28-29

Illinois <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5664&qid=1338070>  - October 28-30

Maryland <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5665&qid=1338070>  - October 28-30

New York <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5666&qid=1338070>  - October 28-30

South Carolina <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5667&qid=1338070>  - October 28-30

Vermont <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5668&qid=1338070>  - October 29

Connecticut <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5669&qid=1338070>  - November 4-6

Kansas <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5670&qid=1338070>  - November 4-6

Michigan <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5671&qid=1338070>  - November 4-6

Texas <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5672&qid=1338070>  - November 4-6

New Jersey <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5673&qid=1338070>  - November 10-13

Nevada <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5674&qid=1338070>  - November 11-13

Ohio <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5675&qid=1338070>  - November 11-13

Pennsylvania <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5676&qid=1338070>  - November 11-13

Virginia <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5677&qid=1338070>  - November 11-13

Puerto Rico <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5678&qid=1338070>  - November 19

   Graphic: section divider <https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/images/Divider.gif>

Citation

It is not blindness that is to be feared but rather the low expectations and misconceptions about blindness. We have walked alone and marched together; we have tested the possibilities and we have not found the limits; we have faced the fear and we have transformed it to hope—we are the National Federation of the Blind.

– Mark A. Riccobono. “The Understanding of Fear and the Power of Progress <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5614&qid=1338070> .” 2016 NFB National Convention, Orlando, Florida, July 5, 2016.

   Graphic: section divider <https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/images/Divider.gif>

Thank you for reading the NFB’s Imagineering Our Future.

Help make a significant difference in the lives of blind people across the country.

 Better Business Bureau Accredited Charity Logo <http://nfb.org/images/nfb/images/image/bbb.jpg>    Combined Federal Campaign Approved Charity Logo <http://nfb.org/images/nfb/images/image/cfc_logo.gif>       Charity Watch Top Rated Logo <http://nfb.org/images/nfb/images/image/cw-top-rated.jpg>         GuideStar Exchange Gold Participant Logo <http://nfb.org/images/nfb/images/image/gximage2.png>

 <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4049&qid=692780> Make a Gift Today

Back to Top

 <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5630&qid=1338070> Image of a hand holding a cell phone with the KNFB Reader logo

 Two girls attending Youth Slam smile widely. <http://nfb.org/images/nfb/images/image/jinewsletter/youth-slam.jpg>

Make a <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4050&qid=692780>
Gift Today

To donate a vehicle to the NFB, call toll-free
(855) 659-9314
or visit our
vehicle donation <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4051&qid=692780>
page.

 To donate clothing or household items to the NFB,
visit
www.nfbpickup.org/ <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4052&qid=692780>
or call toll-free
(888) 610-4632
to schedule a pickup or to find drop locations.

 Photo: Father and Child <http://nfb.org/images/nfb/images/image/jinewsletter/littlegirl-with-toy.jpg>

 Two people use their canes as they walk down the sidewalk. <http://nfb.org/images/nfb/images/image/jinewsletter/street_good_color.jpg>

Please check with your company to see if it offers a matching program that will match your gift.

 A man uses alternative technologies to read a restaurant menu. <http://nfb.org/images/nfb/images/image/jinewsletter/man-reading-menu.jpg>

Interesting links:

Archive of Straight Talk About Vision Loss videos <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4053&qid=692780>

National Center for Blind Youth in Science <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4054&qid=692780>