[Nfbmo] From the Intern Files: my experience, my gratitude, and perhaps some entertainment

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 3 17:11:16 UTC 2016

Julie, what a pleasure to read your message. Thank you so much for sending
it. It was a wonderful diversion from working on the August September issue
of the Braille Monitor, undoubtedly the most difficult issue of the year.

It took me a long time to figure out what an ally I had in the national
office. I was never an intern, so people who worked there and worked closely
with Dr. Jernigan had to convince me that he really was approachable, that
he really did mean that he had time for all of us or at least would make it.
I do not spend a lot of time engaging and envy, but I wish that my life
experience had allowed me to compete to be an intern, to go to one of our
rehabilitation centers, and to truly be immersed in positive blindness
experiences. I congratulate you for risking to apply, for putting your life
on hold to partake in some wonderful experiences, and for pledging to see
that all of us share better lives as a result of yours. It doesn't get any
better than this!