[Nfbmo] Participating in power

Daniel Garcia dangarcia3 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 7 01:07:45 UTC 2016

The latest issue of the Braille Monitor has a Banquet Address delivered by Dr. Jernigan on July 4, 1985 at the National Convention in Louisville.

The title is: BLINDNESS: THE PATTERN OF FREEDOM.

In this speech Dr. Jernigan cites many quotes by famous people regarding the meaning of freedom and liberty.  One of these quotes is particularly timely given the fact we are preparing ourselves to go to Jefferson City Seminar. The quote is from Cicero who said: "Freedom is participation in power."

This will be the first time I will be going to the Jefferson City Seminar and I am very excited about it. While we gloss over every detail to make sure things go off without a hitch, let us not lose perspective of the big picture. I'll end this message with a quote from the same speech which I believe is the best part of the speech.

Begin quote

What we need most is not, as the professionals would have it, medical help or psychological counseling but admission to the main channels of daily life and citizenship, not custody and care but understanding and acceptance. Above all, what we need is not more government programs or private charitable efforts. Instead, we want jobs, opportunity, and full participation in society. Give us that, and we will do the rest for ourselves. Give us jobs, equal treatment, and a solid economic base; and we will do without the counseling, the sheltered workshops, and the social programs. We will not need them. We have the same medical, vocational, social, and recreational needs as others; but our blindness does not create those needs, and it does not magnify or enlarge them. It does not make them special or different. We are neither more nor less than normal people who cannot see, and that is how we intend to be treated. We want no strife or confrontation, but we have learned the power of collective action, and we will do what we have to do to achieve first-class status. We are simply no longer willing to be second class citizens.

End quote

Best Regards

Daniel