[Nfbmo] Blind Accessible Major Appliances

Randy Carmack randycarmack at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 05:09:44 UTC 2016

Well our washing machine has gone out again and while I can fix it again,
we were considering just replacing it.  Jenny has recently lost most of her
eyesight and currently about half of our recently purchased major home
appliances have become completely unusable for her.  You know, touch
screens, selectable indicator lights, ect, these things are completely
useless for people with no eyesight.  I started to look around at new
washing machines and these inaccessible features seem to be more and more
present, it has gotten to the point that you cannot seem to find anything
new that does not contain these features.  To add insult to injury, some
manufacturers market ADA compatible machines but upon closer review all
they seem to be compatible for is people in wheelchairs, not for the
blind.  That just doesn't seem right to me.

My question for the group is, does anyone know where you can purchase new
major home appliances that are compatible for the blind?  I did several
different google searches on this but there seems to be precious little
information on the internet about this issue.

Any information that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.  If
nobody has any ideas, oh well, if I keep replacing the parts on this
machine, eventually we will have a new machine so to speak.

Thanks,
Randy Carmack