[Nfbmo] FW: NFB President’s Notebook - week of 10/31/2016

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 1 18:17:11 UTC 2016

From: President, National Federation of the Blind [mailto:OfficeOfThePresident at nfb.org]
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2016 2:14 PM
To: President, National Federation of the Blind
Subject: NFB President’s Notebook - week of 10/31/2016

President’s Notebook

National Federation of the Blind

Mark A. Riccobono

officeofthepresident at nfb.org

(410) 659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

Happy Halloween! This past weekend was the busiest for our fall convention season. The eight conventions held this past weekend demonstrate the growth and vitality of the Federation. In Maryland, a new standard has been set for state convention attendance and participation in our PAC Plan program. The National Federation of the Blind of Maryland registered 401 attendees at its fiftieth anniversary gathering, and we have now surpassed $6,000 contributed each month to the PAC Plan by members in Maryland. As I learn of other outstanding achievements in our affiliates, I will be sure to share them.

Last week, I sent a meeting request and email for a teleconference with all affiliate presidents for November 16. I want to again call this to your attention as only a small handful of presidents have accepted the invitation to the call or replied to the email.

News:

NFB Scholarship Program:
We are accepting scholarship applications from November 1, 2016, to March 31, 2017. This annual program offers thirty scholarships worth from $3,000 to $12,000 to eligible students, from high school seniors beginning their freshman year in the fall semester of 2017, up through graduate students working on their PhD degrees. These merit scholarships are based on academic excellence, community service, and leadership. In addition to the money, each winner will receive assistance to attend the 2017 NFB annual convention in Orlando, Florida, held during the second week of July, providing an excellent opportunity for high-level networking with active blind persons in many different professions and occupations. Go to www.nfb.org/scholarships for complete rules and requirements.

Parent Leadership Program (PLP):

Our National Organization of Parents of Blind Children (NOPBC) is seeking recommendations for our next Parent Leadership Program (PLP) to be held at the 2017 Washington Seminar. Please send recommendations to carol_castellano at verizon.net by November 18. Do you have a parent who shows the commitment and leadership potential to found or strengthen a parents division in your state? If so, please send us the name and contact information, and we will send that parent an invitation to become a part of the PLP. Parents from your state who are already in the program will also be sent invitations. We hope that your affiliate POBC can assist in getting the parent to DC. The NOPBC may be able to provide some financial support. Please note: PLP workshops will begin the morning of Sunday, January 29, so PLP participants need to arrive in DC on Saturday, January 28, earlier than most seminar participants.

Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award Program:
The award program will be accepting nominations online from November 15, 2016, to April 15, 2017. Applicants must have demonstrated exemplary leadership and extraordinary accomplishments in improving the lives of blind people in the United States. An application for an award may be made either by the applicant directly or by third parties who nominate an applicant. Additional information can be found at https://nfb.org/bolotin-award-main.

Reminders:

Early Voting:
We invite blind people to report on their experience with early voting across the country. To report on your experience with early voting, please send an email to Lou Ann Blake at lblake at nfb.org.

NFB Voting Hotline:
We will be hosting an Election Day hotline for blind and visually impaired voters, poll workers, and voting rights advocates to call when problems with accessible voting technology or other barriers are preventing a blind voter from casting a private and independent ballot. The hotline will be available November 8, 2016, from 7:00 a.m. Eastern to 10:00 p.m. Eastern (7:00 p.m. Pacific). The number is (877) 632-1940.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

·         Fall Conventions <https://nfb.org/state-conventions>

·         November 8: Election Day; NFB voter hotline available at (877) 632-1940

·         January 30, 2017: Great Gathering-In

·         January 30-February 2, 2017: Washington Seminar <https://nfb.org/washington-seminar>

·         March 30-31, 2017: Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium

·         July 21-29, 2017: Youth Slam, Towson University

·         September 12-17, 2017: BLAST, Nashville, Tennessee

Mark A. Riccobono, President

National Federation of the Blind

200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place

Baltimore, Maryland 21230