[Nfbmo] demo of braille displays or note takers

Roger Crome r_crome1 at msn.com
Tue Nov 22 12:11:13 UTC 2016

Hi,
Missouri Assistive Technology is a good resource for getting a variety of displays to try out.  However, in order to borrow through their ETC program, you have to have a basic idea of what you want to try out.  They will ship this item to you for a specified time, but after that time, you must retturn the item and borrow another.  Many times, if they do not have the item in stock, they may consider purchasing the item in order to have it in their lending library.  If you have an item that you want to purchase but do not have the money on hand, you can apply for a ShowMe loan through Missouri Assistive technology.  It is not free, but it is a low payment, low interest loan.  If you need funds to cover a portion of the item, there is a charitable grant option through Midwest Special Needs Trust.  This grant is up to $1500 and is limited to a very stringent income guideline.  So, yeah Brian, you are right that the program is not quite that generous, but if you are able to put multiple resources together, then, it is doable.  Missouri Assistive Technology is a great resource in our state, and the programs within their control are strides ahead of many other states.  I have tried to find resources for family members in other states to find that the assistive technology projects in those states are severely lacking.

Roger

Sent from my iPhone